one last dance

Word count: 959
Summary: Based on the song 'One Last Dance' by R5. It's a really good song (from 2013 pfft) and you should give it a lil listen :D

The sound of throbbing music echoed through the empty hallways of the school. Dan could feel the walls shake as he made his way to the gym with his hands in the pocket of his trousers. Originally, he hadn't planned to join the graduation dance party, because he knew that Phil, his ex, and his new boyfriend, Hayden, would be there. His mother had somehow convinced him to go at the last second and even prepared a suit for him.

"It's the last time you'll see your classmates, anyway. Most of you will be heading off to university soon. Take it easy, and enjoy yourself," she'd said when she caught Dan in the lounge playing Mario Kart and eating a large bag of crisps.

And here he was, stood at the entrance doors. Dan could see teens crowded in the middle of the basketball court, laughing and having a great time through the window. He took a deep breath before pushing on the handles.

Dan waved at a few familiar faces as he walked through the crowd towards the refreshments table and dodged the couples that danced in his direction. He poured himself a cup of pink lemonade and used his height as an advantage as he searched the crowd. There he was.

Phil was standing in the corner at the other side of the gym, laughing at something his boyfriend had said with his back on the wall. And damn, he looked fine. His ebony-black fringe was neatly groomed and he was wearing a black suit with a matching tie. The sight made Dan's heart ache. Even though the breakup was entirely Dan's fault, and his alone, he always thought about Phil. He missed him everyday, but he knew he could never have Phil back, especially after he'd broken his heart.

"Hey, Dan. Didn't think I'd see you here." Dan turned in time to see a brunette smile flirtatiously at him and touch his arm. Dan flinched away from her grasp and she frowned. "Go away, Jessica," he muttered. Jessica was taken aback and scoffed. "Rude." With that, she walked off to her group of friends and squealed at something they said.

Dan looked back at the corner. He recognized immediately that Phil was watching the whole ordeal. He whispered something into Hayden's ear and they both turned to look at Dan. Dan froze in place, not knowing what to do. Before he could react, Phil grabbed his boyfriend's hand and led him to the exit. Dan snapped back to reality and set his cup onto the table. He chased after Phil and caught him right outside the gym by the sleeve just in time. "Phil!" The boy shook his arm until Dan's grip loosened and spun around.

Tears of hurt and anger shone in his blue-green eyes, and all the memories came crashing down onto Dan's head. "What do you want, Dan?" His voice was quiet, but laced with bitterness.

"Go away. You've already done enough damage," Hayden scowled at Dan, and was about to take Phil's hand to leave when Phil held up a hand. "Hayden," he paused. "I'll- I'll meet you in the car." The boy opened his mouth as if to protest, but Phil ignored him and walked back into the gym. Hayden threw a glare at Dan and stormed to the parking lot.

Dan returned into the gym and found Phil waiting for him on bleachers. Dan slid onto the cold metal beside him. Phil was resting his chin on his fists, propped up on his knees. A glimmering tear rolled down his cheek and he sniffed. The two sat in the deafening silence.

"I'm sorry, Phil," Dan started.

"For what? Breaking my heart? Sure, but you can't do anything about that, can't you?"

"Could you at least give me a chance to explain what happened that night?" Phil didn't say anything so Dan took that as a 'yes'. So he told Phil everything that happened that night at the party, from the beginning 'til the end. When Phil had gone to the toilet, Jessica came up to Dan and started kissing him. Dan could tell that she had drunken one too many drinks and tried to push her off. But when Phil came back, he saw the whole thing and thought Dan was cheating on him. With Jessica.

Phil didn't say anything.

"If it makes things any better, Jessica isn't nearly as much of a good kisser as you." Phil smiled and shook slightly, as if he were trying not to laugh. "I know," he said quietly. Dan laughed. "So... does that mean I'm forgiven?"

"You do know that even if we make up, I'm still moving, right?"

"What? Where?"

"York, for university."

"Oh... I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too," Phil replied quietly. Dan's heart swelled. He teared up and took Phil into an embrace. Hayden chose that moment to burst into the gym. His expression was a mixture of  confusion and anger. "What's going on?" Phil let go and squinted at Hayden. "Am I not allowed to hug my friend?"

"But- but he hurt you-"

"It was a misunderstanding," Phil interrupted. Hayden's glare at the two was so full of hatred that Dan could feel it bore a hole into his skull. "I'm breaking up with you." He left.

Phil closed his eyes. "Are you okay?" Dan asked worriedly. Phil chuckled softly. "I'm fine. He was a terrible boyfriend anyways." Oh.

"Phillip Lester, would you kindly join me in a slow dance?" Dan stood up, held out his right hand and mocked a fancy accent. Phil giggled, wiped a few stray tears from his face and accepted Dan's hand.

And they danced the night away, one last time.

Question: What do you think happens after the night of the graduation party?