thinking out loud

Word count: 375
Summary: Dan and Phil were best friends when they were kids, but Phil moved to another country for a few years. They recognized each other at a mutual family friend's wedding and stuff happens.

~ Flashback ~

Dan and Phil laid on the grass under the shade of the giant oak tree.

"Hey, Philly?"

Phil turned and gave Dan a toothy smile that melted his heart. "Yeah, Danny?"

"I- I think I like you."

Phil's eyes widened.

"I like you too."

"No. I mean I like like you, Phil."

Dan sat up and lowered his head to press his lips against Phil's. Phil was taken aback, but kissed back. Dan's heart rattled against his chest and threatened to fly out of his body.

~ Flashback ends ~

When your legs don't work like they used to before,
and I can't sweep you off of your feet...

Dan grinned at Phil, who blushed and stared at the ground. Everyone around them had started to engage into a slow dance.

"So..." Dan rubbed the back of his neck. "You want to...?" He gestured stiffly to the dancing couples.

"Um... Y-yeah. Sure." Phil's pale cheeks flushed a deep red. They stood in the same spot in silence, and the lack of conversation was slightly unnerving.

Darlin' I will
Be lovin' you
'Til we're seventy

And baby my heart
Could still fall as hard
At twenty three

Dan sighed and chuckled. "I don't get it. We were such close friends as children. Why is it so awkward now?"

Phil blinked. "I- don't know."

"Well, I hope you know that I did mean it when I said I loved you. I really do." Dan gazed into Phil's icy, blue eyes.

Phil smiled. "I know."

Dan took Phil's hand and led him to the dance floor. He snaked his right arm around Phil's waist and held his hand with they other. They stepped and swayed to the soft music and held each other in a tight embrace.

Dan held his arm up and spun his partner, and Phil giggled, his tongue sticking out between his teeth.

"God, you're so adorable," Dan muttered when Phil swung back into his arms. "I missed you a lot, Phil."

"I missed you too, Dan."

Take me into your loving arms
Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars
Place your head on my beating heart.

"I love you so much."

"I love you too."

Maybe we found love right where we are.