dumped in the rain

Word count: 348
Summary: Dan has just been dumped by his girlfriend, Megan, in the middle of a date. Phil was taking a walk in the rain, but found his classmate sobbing on the curb.

Dan sat on the side of the curb and hugged his knees. He hid face in between his legs and let a choked sob escape his throat. He felt his entire body shake, not just from the sadness creeping out of his heart, but also from the cold of the night.

Heavy drops of rain hit the concrete one by one, then began to pour. Dan's shirt was soaked to his skin and there was water running down the side of his head. The sound of footsteps approaching was completely drowned out by the rain. Dan only noticed that someone was present when he stopped feeling the drops of water hitting his back.

He looked up and saw a tall figure holding a black umbrella over their heads. "Are you okay?" Dan recognized the voice. "Phil Lester?" The boy chuckled. "Yeah, it's me. I'm sit behind you in English."

"I know." Even though Dan would never admit it, he had grown a fondness for the boy. He liked how his eyes were a mesmerizing mixture of multiple colors, and that they would brighten when an idea struck him. Everything about Phil, Dan thought, was perfect.

"W-what are you doing out in the rain?" With the dim glow of the streetlamp, Dan could see as Phil raised his eyebrows and scoffed. "I should be asking you the same thing."

Dan sighed. "I just got dumped by Megan."

"Oh," Phil sat beside him. "What happened?"

Dan hesitated. "I kinda told her I was gay."

"Oh."

The two sat in silence. The only sound was of the rain bouncing off the top of the umbrella.

Dan shivered and sneezed. "Dan, you're catching a cold!" He shook his head. "I'm f-fine."

"I'm not stupid." Phil handed him the umbrella and scrambled to take his own coat off. "Oh- Phil, you don't have to-"

"It's okay, Dan, really." Phil draped the coat over Dan's shoulders.

"Th- thank you," Dan muttered.

Dan and Phil spent the rest of the night talking about life and kept each other company. After the rain finally stopped, they walked around the park holding hands.