an unexpected date

Word count: 558
Summary: Phil is expecting his boyfriend, Adam, to be at a restaurant for their anniversary dinner. Adam hasn't shown up and the waitress keeps asking if Phil would like to order.

Phil glanced down nervously at his watch as he tapped his foot on the floor. Adam was late to their anniversary dinner, and he had said he'd be a little late. Two hours ago.

An elderly waitress reluctantly approached him with a soft voice with a hint of sympathy hidden behind her words. "Sir, are you ready to order yet?"

Phil shook his head. "No, no, that won't be necessary... I'll wait until he's here." The waitress opened her mouth as if to say something, but decided not to, and walked back to the kitchen.

As she returned to wherever she came from, Phil could physically feel apologetic looks from the other customers is the restaurant burn through his skull. Tears threatened to escape his eyes but he fought them back. He stood to leave, but before he could move away from the table, a boy dashed in front of him and practically threw himself into the chair opposite of Phil.

"Sorry I was late, sweetie, traffic was real bad tonight," he explained in a rush, loud enough for nearly the entire restaurant to hear. The boy had wavy brown hair and kind eyes to match. Phil threw the boy a questioning look.

The boy motioned for Phil to take his seat. "I'm Dan," he said quietly, with a smile on his dimpled face. "Just... play along with me, okay?"

Phil nodded and returned the smile. "Oh, I see," he said loudly. "Traffic must've been real bad for you to be two hours late!" The people at the tables around the two shot them weird looks; Dan and Phil had to suppress a laugh.

"Now, let's order some food, shall we? All that road rage has left me famished."

*time skip*

After a short argument over who was paying for the dinner, Dan eventually won and ended up paying for both meals. Phil had protested and insisted that he pay for his own, but Dan wouldn't hear any of it.

Dan even offered Phil a ride home.

The car ride was filled with silence before Phil finally broke it. "Thanks for that, Dan. You know, for the whole 'I just got stood up' thing and for paying for my meal."

Dan chuckled. "No problem. I saw you sitting there for so long, I knew that there was something wrong."

Phil pursed his lips.

"Do you mind me asking what happened?"

"I just got stood up by my boyfriend on our anniversary. There isn't much to say."

Dan hummed in response. The rest of the journey was completed in (slightly) comfortable silence. Dan pulled up in front of Phil's driveway and sat in the driver's seat, tapping on the wheel.

"Will you go on a date with me?"

The question took Phil by surprise. "Wasn't that technically a date already?"

"Well, not really. I didn't get to formally ask you. Yet. So I'm doing so know."

"Okay."

Dan raised his eyebrows. "Wait, was that an okay to my short rambling or-"

"I'll go on a date with you." Phil turned to look at Dan, and the boy had a stupid grin plastered on his face. Phil giggled and punched him playfully on the arm.

"Are you free on Sunday night?"

"Yeah."

"I'll pick you up at 6. We're going to dinner," he said happily. Phil grinned. "See you then."

A/N: I'm thinking about writing a short story or something. And I kinda want to make it straight. Like boyxgirl. Shocking, right? But suggestions or opinions pls ??