fire escape

Word count: 525
Summary: It's Dan and Phil's one- year anniversary, and Dan would like to make it a memorable one.

"Hey," Phil said as he plopped down beside his best friend Chris at the lunch table. Chris grabbed Phil's paper bag without a word and fished out his ham sandwich. He tore the cling wrap off and wolfed down the sandwich.

"Wow, great way to greet your best friend," Phil said as he rolled his eyes playfully. Chris nudged him in the ribs.

"I'm starving, okay? You wouldn't want your 'best friend' to die of hunger, wouldn't you?" He batted his eyelashes. Phil laughed and pushed him away.

Someone tapped on Phil's shoulder, making him spin around. He met eyes with his boyfriend. The boy's brown eyes gleamed. "Hey, Dan!"

Dan grinned. "Hey, Philadelphia." They stared at each other, grinning at one another until Chris let out a cough. "Nice to see you too, Dan," he muttered.

Dan chuckled. "Sorry Chris. I just got distracted to this little angel. It's our one- year anniversary today!" Phil beamed. "Speaking of which, I need to show you something, Phil."

Phil tilted his head in confusion. "Follow me." Dan took Phil's hand and led him out of the cafeteria.

---

"So where, exactly, are we going?"

Dan took Phil to a quiet staircase at the side of the school. He tugged his boyfriend up the stairs. A dark blue door stood at the top, with no windows anywhere around it, so you couldn't see what was on the other side.

There was a red label on the bar that read: Fire alarm will ring when door is opened. Dan reached for the door.

"DAN WHAT ARE YOU DOING THE FIRE ALARM'S GONNA-"

He casually pushed on the bar and the door slowly creaked open.

"-ring." Phil blushed and Dan smiled as he gestured for Phil to follow him out the door. Phil obliged and stepped onto the roof.

A cool summer breeze swept across his feet and into the air. Phil explored the area. It was a lot larger than he had expected it to be. There was a bench in the middle and small pots of plants lining the sides of the roof.

"Welcome to my escape." Phil gaped in admiration at the scenery laid around him. It was absolutely perfect. He'd always wanted a rooftop garden, and maybe this could be a start.

"Who waters the plants up here?" Phil asked.

"I do, and when I'm busy, the janitor does the watering for me," Dan smiled at Phil. "Do you... Like it?"

Phil scoffed. "Like it? I love it here!! How long have you been sneaking up to the roof?"

Dan shrugged. "I'd say for about two to three months." Phil's jaw dropped. "And you didn't tell me?"

Dan smiled at the ground. "I wanted it to be a surprise gift for the anniversary." Phil's heart fluttered. No one ever does something so amazing for him; he felt loved, and it was a great feeling.

Phil stood on his toes and wrapped his arms around Dan's neck. He felt the boy hug him back. "I love you. So much," he said, buried in the crook of his boyfriend's neck.

Dan's heart warmed. "I love you too, Phil."