birthday party

Word count: 370
Summary: Parent!Phan is making a comeback. It's Laura's 9th birthday, and she invited her entire class to a dinner.

"Daddy," Laura wailed, tugging at Dan's shirt. "Can we get a cake?"

"Not now, sweetheart. Daddy's busy making your birthday dinner," Dan replied, furiously beating two raw eggs into a bowl. "But I'm going to bake one as soon as I'm done with the pasta, okay?"

Laura grinned and attacked him with a hug. "Thank you!" Dan smiled. He would do anything to make his daughter happy. Laura ran back to her room to play.

Dan felt two arms snake around his waist. "Bear, I'm meeting Louise soon to help her plan the wedding, so you're kind of on your own with the whole party thing."

"Why did I think this was a good idea," Dan groaned. Phil smiled and snuggled his face into the crook of the boy's neck.

"You'll do fine. I'm sure of it. If you need any help, give me a call."

"I can handle it," Dan huffed, then turned to peck his husband's cheek. "Have fun!"

*teeny time skip*

"They're gonna be here in 15 minutes, Daddy!" Laura yelled from the lounge.

A wave of panic rose into Dan's chest. The cake wasn't iced, there weren't enough ice cubes for everyone, and Dan prayed that the sauce he found in the back of the cabinet wasn't yet expired.

"Screw it," Dan grumbled. He strolled into the pantry and tugged a bottle of wine. He chugged straight from the bottle and sighed, then set it on the counter. He grabbed a ladle and the tub of icing, scooping a bunch and worked on the cake. Half of those kids would have to deal with room temperature juice.

*time skip*

Dan sank into the couch and shut his eyes. The shrieks (of joy, he didn't make anyone cry this time) were replaying over and over in his mind.

The front door unlocked. "I'm home," Phil announced.

"So," Phil sat beside Dan, who was massaging his temples. "How'd it go?"

"So much icing. Literally everywhere. Why is 'Chase the Tall Emo With the Sparkler Candle' so fun to those nine year olds?"

Phil shrugged. "I guess it'd be fun to see a 6-foot tall man on fire." Dan shot him a glare.

"You're doing it next year."

A/N: I'm sorry for procrastinating updates for such a long time. (It's not like anyone actually cared) But hey, I'm back :D