Chapter Seventeen

The next morning Anna awoke to an empty bed. Of course, she thought to herself.

She got out of bed and found her phone to check the time.

10:35 am.

Wow. I haven't slept that late in a while, she thought to herself as she made her way into the bathroom to take a shower.

She stripped herself and turned the water all the way on hot and waited for it to heat up. Once it was the correct, steaming hot temperature, she made her way in and shut the door. She stood under the water for a moment, just letting it run down her bare body. But her thoughts were interrupted when Damien opened the bathroom door.

"I didn't think you would be awake yet. You looked so peaceful sleeping so I let you be. I went downstairs and made you breakfast and brought it up for you. Your favorite. Cupcake pancakes with cream cheese icing and chocolate milk" Damien said as he leaned against the shower wall.

"Oh...thank you. You didn't have to do that" Anna said loudly over the sound of the running water.

"I know I didn't. That's what I'm trying to show you. I don't have to be better but I'm going to be. Samson has Stella almost completely moved in to her new apartment. They got started early this morning. I was going to tell you during breakfast"

"That's cool. Hey can I just finish my shower? Then we can eat and talk or whatever you want, okay?"

Damien sighed, "Sure. Whatever you want baby girl. I'll leave you be. Don't take too long. I don't want your pancakes to get cold". And with that, he walked out of the bathroom, shutting the door behind him.

Anna slid down the wall and sat, curled in a ball on the shower floor. Seconds later she began to sob.

What have I done?! God Anna you're so fucking stupid. I can't believe you almost slept with someone else. This is going to ruin us. You're such a horrible, disgusting person. Damien would never do that to you, she thought as she sobbed to herself.

She sat on the floor of the shower crying for fifteen minutes before Damien knocked on the door.

"Hey Baby. Everything okay?"

"Y-yeah, I-I'm fine j-just g-go aw-away" Anna managed to get out in between her sharp breaths while still crying.

"No, no, no, hold on. Hold on little one" Damien said as he hurried over to the shower, opening the door and getting in fully clothed. He picked her up from the floor and put her on his lap, letting the water run over both of them.

"I do-don't deserve y-you. I flirted with s-someone else a-and you would n-never do that t-to me. I'm disgusting!" Anna sobbed as she held tightly onto him, the water now starting to get colder.

"Baby girl, hey, hey hey hey. Look, don't you ever think you're disgusting. I made you feel like you weren't loved. That was my mistake. A huge mistake. I didn't take care of you or love you like I was supposed to. I failed as your daddy and your boyfriend. I'm supposed to protect you and care for you but I'm the one you needed protecting from. Hearing that you were with someone else hurt me, yeah, but I can't imagine what you've been going through. Being isolated and lonely and feeling the way you were. Baby girl, please, don't beat yourself up over it. I understand. I'm not angry at you, I'm angry at myself for making you feel like you had to find love and comfort in someone besides me. Okay?"

"D-do you promise?" Anna said, sniffling but no longer crying.

"Of course I do. I will never leave you like that again, okay? I promise. Now, let's get dried off so you can go eat your breakfast" he said as he stood up, turned the water off, and carried her out of the shower. He put her down and wrapped her in a towel then lead her back into the bedroom, where he had a tray filled with food set up on the bed. "I'll get you one of daddys big shirts to wear. Don't worry about panties". He walked to the dresser and picked out a T-shirt then slipped it on over Anna's damp body then wrapped her up in her kitten throw blanket from the foot of the bed.

"Daddy..." Anna said softly.

"Yes princess?" Damien said rather excitedly, since she hadn't called him daddy in months.

"Will...will you feed me?"

"Of course baby girl".

Damien cleared off a spot in the bed for Anna to get under the covers a little, then he sat in bed in front of her with the tray of food beside him. He cut up little pieces of pancake and dipped them in the icing (she hated putting icing ON her pancakes) then carefully put them into her mouth. He alternated between bits of fruit and pancake until she was completely finished. He gave her the sippy cup of chocolate milk and told her he would be right back after he cleared the tray. He took the tray and dishes downstairs and stood in the kitchen debating on whether or not he was going to make his next move.

She deserves this. You deserve her. She deserves to be treated like a princess for the rest of her life, he repeated to himself over and over until he finally decided to go back upstairs and face her.

He walked in to her twirling her hair and drinking milk from her sippy cup. She always twirled her hair when she was happy. He loved that about her. The little details that he noticed about her, that would let him know her mood. He would never take them for granted again.

He walked over to the closet and pulled out a Build-A-Bear workshop box.

"Daddy?! For me?!" Anna asked excitedly, getting into little space for the first time in months.

"Yes baby girl. Go ahead. Open it"

She opened the box to reveal a "Confetti Cupcake" bear with a tag on it that said Squeeze Me.

She squeezed the bears torso tight, then heard it say, "Annabelle Calista Adams, will you marry me?"

She gasped and immediately following the gasp was a squeal, and then she started to cry. She dropped the bear and ran to Damien, jumping in his arms. "Yes! Of course I'll marry you!"