Chapter Five

They got home and Anna ran to her room to show it off to her new friends. Samson sat on the couch and Damien walked to his bar cart to pour them both drinks.

"So. A nurse, huh?" Damien smirked as he took a sip of his scotch.

Samson blushed and responded, "Yeah man. There's just something about her, ya know?"

"I can tell. You've never been like this because of a woman. Find out anything about her yet?"

"Not yet. We've been texting all day though. She's coming to Anna's party tomorrow" Samson said as he chugged his glass. At that moment Anna showed up beside the tv.

"Daddy we want to watch cartoons and we're hungry" she said as she clutched onto her new stuffed animals.

"Well we better fix that then, huh?"

Samson suggested they go out to dinner somewhere special for Anna's birthday. After a lot of debating and discussion, Anna decided on her favorite burger restaurant in the city.

Anna got dressed in a nice white spaghetti strap dress with flowers and some sandals. After she was ready to go, the three loaded into the suv once again before heading to the restaurant. Anna and Samson jokingly fought about who would sit up front, but ultimately decided on Anna since it was her birthday.

They ate their dinner and had a great time. Anna tried moscato for the first time and liked it, though she was a much bigger fan of alcoholic drinks that didn't taste like alcohol. Damien and Samson also somehow got the wait staff to sing Happy Birthday which embarrassed the living daylights out of her. Overall it was a really great night to make up for a not so great day.

On the way home from the restaurant Anna was yawning. Alcohol always made her tired.

"Baby why don't we get you ready for bed when we get home, hmm?" Damien said as he looked at her from the rear view mirror.

"I not tired" she whined. This caused Samson and Damien to smirk at each other.

"Sure. Whatever you say, sweet pea" Samson said.

They got home and Damien carried Anna to her room and helped her get ready for bed. It was 10pm so it was right on time for her normal bedtime anyway. Samson decided to sleep over since he was going to be helping with her party the next day anyway.

After Anna was in bed and falling asleep, Samson came in to tell her goodnight.

"Goodnight sweet pea. Uncle Sammy loves ya, kiddo. Happy birthday" he said as he kissed her forehead.

"Unkie Sammy" Anna whispered as she sat up with her eyes barely open.

"Go back to sleep, sweet pea. Me and your Daddy have to go talk. It's too late for little girls to be awake" he shushed her as she laid her head back down and resumed her sleep.

The next morning Damien and Samson woke up before Anna. They met in the living room and Samson made them each coffee while they woke up. After about an hour, they went into the office to call the hotel to make sure everything was set up, then called Alex to confirm their plans. After everything was confirmed and ready for the evening, Samson showered in the guest bathroom while Damien cleaned the kitchen while he waited for Anna to wake up.

He began to make breakfast when he heard shuffling behind him. He turned around with the hot spatula ready to pounce when he saw Anna with her paci in her mouth. She was bundled up in her comforter with it trailing behind her.

"Aw look at you. Good morning baby girl. How did you sleep?" He said as he walked over to her and wrapped her in his arms.

She grunted.

"Little one I don't speak grunts. Use your big girl words"

She grunted.

"Okay no big girl words. That's okay. How about some funfetti pancakes for breakfast?"

She grunted.

Damien sighed as he helped her onto the kitchen island as he finished making their pancakes. Once he was finished, he made them both plates and a plate for Samson then lead her to the couch and flipped on cartoons. Samson came downstairs and grabbed his pancakes to join them.

"Good morning sweet pea. How are you?" Samson asked Anna as he took a bite of pancake.

She grunted, which caused Samson to look at Damien confused.

"She's not using her big girl words today. It's fine" Damien said as he took the paci out of Anna's mouth and fed her a piece of cut up pancake.

"Okay then I guess we'll just have to not use Daddy and Unkie words either" Samson said.

Anna looked up at them with a brow raised.

"Beep boop boop beep bop bope boop" Samson said as he looked at Damien then back at Anna, who was still confused.

"Ahh beep bop bope bop beep" Damien realized what Samson was doing and reiterated the notion.

Anna laughed, "Hey that's not fair! Now I don't know what you're sayin!"

"Oh it speaks. Well baby girl we didn't know what YOU were saying when you were grunting. It's not fun is it" Damien retaliated. "But we were talking about a surprise for you later."

Anna's eyes lit up and she started clapping her hands excitedly. "REALLY"

"Only if you promise to use your big girl words so we know what you want though. Okay?" Damien said as he squeezed her close to him and kissed the top of her head.

"Okay Daddy. I can do that" she said as she nuzzled up to him.

They sat on the couch watching tv for about an hour before Samson got a phone call. He looked down at his phone in shock before answering.

"Hello?"

"Hi Samson"

"Hi. Hey. Hello. Lana. How are you. Hi" Samson said as he jolted off the couch to pace around nervously. He spoke on the phone for a few minutes before telling her he would pick her up tonight. 

"What are you doing tonight Sammy?" Anna asked.

"It's a surprise baby girl. Sam why don't you go call, um, the coordinator of our evening" Damien said as he caught himself before saying Alex's name. "Hey Anna, do you want to go to the mall and pick out a new dress for your birthday? Why don't you go upstairs and get dressed"

"YAY! Okay daddy!" Anna said as she hopped off the couch and made her way upstairs.

"Huh. Okay then" Samson said as he looked blankly at Damien.

"Whatever man. Go home and get ready. You're coming with us. You need something new for tonight too" Damien said as he left to go upstairs and help Anna.