Chapter Five

"Holy shit, this is real, isn't it?" I exclaimed as I familiarized myself with the car. 

                   "It's as real as you are, now drive," Dylan said excitedly as he buckled his seatbelt. However, he wasn't as excited as I was.

                    I revved the ignition and laughed at the melliflous roar of the engine; a sound I'd never thought I would hear.

                      "Are you ready?" I asked Dylan with a smile plastered across my face. Dylan smirked. 

                       "As ready as ever," he said. He gave the owner of the car, who was standing by the cliff, a thumbs up that we were good to go and I stepped on the gas, letting the car take us down the cliff. I was really worried about the sharp turns but as I realized I subconsiously adjusted the car to the curves ahead, and the fear of sharp turns was easily diminished. The speed took its toll on me and adrenaline spiked through my body like a momentary rush. It was faster than I had anticipated, and I was scared I would go a bit too fast, but fortunately I quickly learned how to maneuver the car and I was driving like an expert within thirty seconds. 

                      "You're a natural, Jamie," Dylan said as I sped down the cliff. He was filming the whole thing with his phone and I flipped him off with a smirk. The road was completely empty; it felt mine. 

                      "Our minute is up, yeah?" I asked him as I concentrated on the road. Truth was, I didn't want this to end.

                      "I would say let's go further but he might call security if we went past the one minute mark, so let's get back. Speed it up," Dylan said, still holding up the phone. I obliged willingly and pressed on the gas a bit more, and the guy came into sight as he stood close to the road.

                     I pressed on the brakes as I wanted to park right by him, but Dylan caught me off guard.

                     "What are you doing?" I asked. His hand was pressed hard on my right leg, like he was forcing me to step on the gas, and I tried to shift gears to slow down but he wouldn't let me.

                      I tried to shout at Dylan to stop messing around but we were so close to the guy and I was afraid we were going to hit him. I could no longer concentrate on Dylan's hand on my leg but instead I focused on the guy frozen in place. I tried swerving the car away but my maneuver was obstructed. I couldn't speak. Something bad was going to happen and I knew it. I tried swerving the car away but  Dylan took over and swerved the wheel the opposite direction -towards the man. What was going on?

                  Then it happened.

                    It felt like seconds; and yet it felt like an eternity. 

                    The horrifying sound of something being hit pressed on my gut, and I saw him fly a couple of feet in front of us and he landed with a sharp crack on the pavement. His face turned pale and looked like he knew this was the end of it for him. It was as if my heart had jumped into my throat and I choked on it. I couldn't believe what had happened. The sound of the impact was ringing in my head and I shook my head denying it ever happened. I didn't do it...

                      I did not know how I got out of the car, but I did, shakily and I hurried to the man who was laying flat on the pavement. There was no blood, no nothing, just him lying flat on the road. 

                       "Oh, God," I said. My mouth was dry, my head was so light and yet I felt so heavy I couldn't move. I prayed this wasn't real. I fell on the sidewalk, and pressed my head with my hands. I couldn't see him anymore. I felt acid travel up my throat and I stood up to throw up, it was all too much.  I wanted to die, at that moment. I didn't want to continue anymore.