Chapter Twenty-Nine

Friday

I had missed school today.

        I didn't think it was the most brilliant idea to show up to school after an intervention in the principal's office today. I didn't want to see Marslow's face, or Kyle's or Travis's or Sarah's, and mostly Dylan's. I knew I was missing out on a lot but I didn't care anymore. I was already flunking most of my subjects anyway. 

        Dad still hadn't showed up. He didn't show up at night, and he didn't show up in the morning to get a new suit for the office. I didn't know where he was but I knew Mom was in a much worried state than I was. 

        Poor Jake. He was the one who had to go to school today and face the people that talked shit about his psycho brother. He was the whole who had to deal with worrying whether his Dad left for good or not while still trying to remember what Odepius Rex was about.

          "Mom?" Jake called out as he opened the house door. 

        "She's in her room," I said from the kitchen counter. Jake dropped his backpack by the door like he usually did.

        "Is Dad home?" he asked. His face was pale and I noticed him gulp as he waited for my answer.

        "No, I'm sorry," I said softly. 

        Jake grunted as he punched the kitchen counter.

       "This is all your fault!" he yelled. I stood up from my chair to try to calm him down. I tried to grab his shoulders but he fidgeted away.

        "Don't touch me!" he yelled. "Mom and Dad are were in a pissed off mood because of you. You're so incosiderate that you don't think about anyone but yourself when you hurt yourself! Do you know the hell I had to go through today? I had to stick up for you but I gave up because I didn't have anything to do with you and your psycho ways," Jake spat. Where was this coming from?

        "Why would you even want to hurt yourself? Weren't Mom and Dad enough to actually make you reconsider? Wasn't I part of the picture? God, I can't understand you, Jamie, I swear!" Jake yelled as tears streamed down his cheek and fell on the floor. God, his words were like a dagger going straight through me. I wanted him to shut up.

        "And now Dad's probably never coming back because you completely screwed it up. Maybe if Mom had been in a better mood then they would've sorted it out more calmly but you just have to piss them off. Why don't you just fucking kill yourself as the grande finale so we wouldn't have to struggle anymore?"

        The dagger was twisting itself on my gut as I felt sickened by his words.

        "You don't mean that," I told him softly.

        "Just go to hell," he said. 

        He grabbed his backpack and stormed up the stairs while I was alone in the kitchen rubbing my hand through my hair repeatedly. Jake, if you only knew...

        I sulked as I went up the stairs to my bedroom and laid on my bed and stared blankly at the ceiling while Stormex was open on my desk. I wasn't in the mood for it. A faint but audible knock on the main door caused me to sit up straight. I gulped. Dad was here. He'd better be here.

        "I'll get it," I heard Mom yell to us. I bet she even missed Dad.

        "Oh," she said with a bit of disappointment in her voice. I knew who it was. "Hello, Dylan."

        "Hi Aunt Pamela. I'm sorry to bother you but the game is starting in like an hour and I really wanted to console Jake before leaving," he said. What a load of bullshit. He wanted to see how much damage he had caused.