Chapter Twenty

"Well that was a great trip," Mom said as she sat on the couch in the living room.

        "Yeah it was pretty cool, suprisingly," Jake said as he plopped up in the other couch.

        I still couldn't believe what had happened between him and Meredith. They spent the rest of that day together and I had never called Jake over to "help me" with stuff I didn't need more than this weekend just to keep him and Meredith away. By Saturday he and Meredith were thankfully not so close with each other as she was stuck in her room from motion-sickness she had gotten when her dad took her out on the boat for a spin.Yet the Reeds didn't insist on leaving early.

        "I'm just glad to be home," I said, honestly, as I loaded the suitcase by the door.

        "I think You and Dylan had fun the most, huh?" Jake said as he pulled out his phone.

        "Why do you think that?" I asked him. Did he know about the midnight "swim"? Had he seen us?

        "I don't know, you guys are like best friends or something so you guys must've had the time of your life. Especially on that boat ride," he added. Did he mean the canoe?        

        "What boat ride?" I asked him in all seriousness as he scrolled on his phone.

        "The fishing trip yesterday and when Uncle Roger and Dad let you ride the boat all on your own after fishing," he said. I let out a breath.

        "Yeah," I said. "That was fun." 

        "You boys want pizza for dinner?" Mom asked as she switched channels on the TV.

        Jake laughed. "Mom you must be starving!"

        "Well apparently no one saved some hotdogs and burgers. I couldn't deal with fish for lunch today!" she justified.

        "You guys go ahead, I need to work on my history paper," I told them. 

        "Is it due tomorrow?" Jake said as he smiled devilishly while looking at Mom. 

        "He's a high school student, Jake. Whatever he doesn't do well on, it's his fault," Mom said as she noticed Jake's attempt to humiliate me. I smirked at Jake and ran up the stairs to my bedroom.

        I turned on my laptop and sat at my desk, and not my bed because I knew I'd end up sleeping, and opened my essay. I had only written fifty words out of 2,000 and that was when I strained my brains.

        I shifted in my seat and a moan escaped my lips as I relaxed my neck. The side effects of my swim were still there and I had a hard time covering it. My head throbbed, my back ached, and my muscles were sore and tense. My breathing wasn't that great too. 

        I took a Panadol and continued reading my sources for my essay. I was going to pull an all-nighter. I should've done my stupid essay instead of stay out by the lake with Dylan on my back the whole day. Honestly everything was better without Dylan.        

        I was so tempted to open up Stormex and see if LadyWillow was there, but I decided I'd treat myself to one minute of Stormex as soon as I had reached my 1000 word mark.

        "Come on, Jam, you can do it," I said as I rubbed my eyes. I was tired already. "Coffee," I suddenly remembered and I bolted out of my chair to go the kitchen downstairs. Mom and Jake were watching TV, well Jake was on his phone, anyway. Dad was in the kitchen too reading the papers.

        "What's up?" he said as I walked in. His eyes were still burried in the papers.

        "I need coffee," I said as I prepared the machine.