Chapter Nine

"Oof," I said in exhaustian as Dylan and I carried the last of the heavy boxes to the trucks outside in the parking lot. I was surprised Dylan stuck to his word. After our small "fight", he didn't really say much, or do much, for that matter. I couldn't help but wonder if he'd save it for later.

"Thank guys," Mike said as he gave Dylan and I a smile. I nodded and followed Dylan back inside the office.

"I hate that guy," Dylan told me. Well I wasn't surprised. "Do you like him?" he turned to look at me as he asked.

What was I supposed to answer with?

I shrugged. "I guess I do," I said.

Dylan scoffed. "Well don't," he bluntly stated. I placed my tongue against my cheek, making sure he didn't see my iiritation towards him.

Mr. Reed and my dad were busy eating sandwiches by the entrance and waved to us as we walked inside.

"Boys," Dad said as he wiped his mouth with a tissue. "Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it," he said as he smiled at us. He had something stuck between his teeth and I could hear Dylan stiffen a laughter. I tried gesturing to my dad but he didn't see it as a hint.

"No problem, Mr. Forrester," Dylan said, his voice almost laced with sugar from how fake it sounded.

"Oh it's Uncle Peter. How many times do I have to remind you?" Dad told him. That made me sick

Dylan smiled again. "Uncle Peter," he said. "I like the sound of it."

I cleared my throat.

"Uncle Wyatt, and Dad, Jamie and I were discussing how we should involve our families with each other more. You know, relive the olden days?" Dylan lied. I did not like the sound of this.

"And?" Mr. Reed, or should I say, Uncle Roger, said as he took a bite out of his sandwich.

"And, well, Jamie has invited us to dinner at their house," Dylan said. I was stumped. That wasn't expected, but again, expect the unexpected.

"Damn it, Jamie, why am I explaining this?" Dylan said. I blinked at him and he widened his eyes, as if threatening me, to say something.

"Oh yeah," I said. I felt my voice quiver and I cleared my throat. "Umm I invited the Reeds over for dinner. Sorry, I only had a chance to tell Dylan," I said sheepishly. I looked at my dad, but he wore a toothy grin, to my surprise. The olive was still there.

"I think that's a great idea!" he said. I sighed in relief. "Rog, what do you say?" he said as he patted the arm of his friend. Uncle Roger smiled and nodded.

"Yeah I do think we need to relive the olden days," he chuckled, qouting his son.

"How's tomorrow?" Dad asked.

"Tomorrow's perfect," Dylan butted in. I could almost swear I saw his eyes glint at me.

"I'll get back to you on that for more detail," Uncle Roger said. "In the meantime Karen wants us back home, something about plumbing problems," he said. Dad nodded and patted his good friend on the back. He thanked Dylan for his 'hard work' and gave him a pat on the back as well.

"See you, Jamie," Dylan said with a smile, almost as if he was up to something. I was too distracted to actually pretend to be his friend in front of my dad.

"Jamie," Dad said as he furrowed his brow at me. "Everything okay?" he asked me. Shit, I was too obvious.

"Y-Yeah," I said, failing miserably at sounding normal. "Why?" I said.

Dad shrugged. "I don't know, you didn't reply to Dylan."

If he picked up on these little things I was going to be caught very early. "Oh, I just got distracted," I said. Which wasn't a lie.