Chapter Sixteen

"Jamie, help your dad out with the suitcases," I faintly heard my mother call out to me as I left the Reed car. I was so relieved we had finally arrived and I was so busy trying to cover up the cut that I paid no attention to my surroundings. 

        "See ya, Jam," Dylan said as he helped his dad unload the full trunk. I automatically waved to him, and it worried me that obeying Dylan was automated by my own subconsious. 

        I walked to our car and finally noticed the vacation spot we had been looking forward to. Three cabins were lined up in a row and overlooked a lake that ended with forests of trees. There was a small warf on top of the lake and a wide land between the cabin and the warf. I didn't remember any of it.

        "Do you like it?" Dad said with a wide grin.

        "Yeah, it's pretty cool," I said with a helpless shrug. I carried two small suitcases, mine and Jake's and followed my dad to the first cabin, ours. I could feel the cut tearing further with every step I took and I tried so hard not to drop a suitcase, grunt, or even pause to regain my posture. It was so hard.

        "Why isn't Jake carrying his suitcase?" I asked my dad. I put the suitcases in the floor, relieved my dad had to fish in his pockets for the keys.

        "He says his back hurts," Dad said. Liar. I looked behind me and Dylan was sitting on the warf with his feet dangling above the water, still engrossed in his video game.

         Dad finally found the keys and unlocked the door. The stench as soon as he opened the door was unbearable. It smelled like dust and a stable.

        "The cleaning crew didn't do a damn thing," he said as he waved a hand through the smell. We walked through the living room which looked so...old. There was a grandma-style floral couch with a throw on it, a non-flatscreen TV, and a wooden dining kitchen next to it connected to the small wooden kitchen. Thankfully it all looked clean.

        "I think it's clean, the smell might go out if we open the windows," I suggested. He nodded.

       I followed him up the stairs, which was even harder than walking with the two suitcases and let out a groan as soon as I felt my cut open up. I looked at my shirt for any signs but the tissues underneath my shirt did a good job at absorbing the blood.

        "You okay?" Dad asked.

        "Yeah, sorry. The steps are a bit too high," I said. 

        We finally arrived to the first floor, and only two rooms were in front of us, which meant I had to share with Jake. I wiped a hand over my face and walked in the room. It was a bit bigger than I had imagined with a nice view overlooking the lake. There was a connected bathroom that was unnecessarily large with an equally unnecessary shower box and bathtub. I closed the door behind me and lifted my shirt up to see the cut. I unpeeled the tissues of my skin and groaned. The cut was pretty small but it hurt like hell. I cleaned it with warm water and reapplied the tissues in case something were to happen.

        I got out and placed my suitcase on the bed next to the window, which I couldn't stop looking at. I could see Dylan talk to Jake on the warf as they laughed and joked around. Meredith joined them and they all sat on the warf together, and for a second Dylan actually looked like a normal human being.

        "Hey Jamie, wanna help me unload the boat?" Dad said with a grin as he peeked inside the bedroom.

        "Sure," I said with a faint smile. I followed him outside to the third cabin, which contained all the sporting equipment and boats. I didn't know we had all of that. 

        "You bringing out Lizzie?" Mr. Reed said with a smile as he prepared the barbecue stove by their cabin.

        "Yep, it's time to show these kids we actually know how to have a fun time," Dad said with a grin. 

        We walked into the cabin and I was already overwhelmed; jet-skis, water floats, a kayak, and finally, Lizzie. Lizzie was a small engine boat that fit at most four people. It wasn't impressive, to be honest, but I pretended it was a beauty. 

        "Alright, lets get this baby on the road, huh?" Dad said. I wanted to cringe, but instead I helped him roll Lizzie out of the cabin and finally onto the lake. I was a lot of work but I managed to get it done. Dylan was suddenly beside me.

        "Wow, impressive," he said, as he looked at the spot he had hurt me. 

        "Thanks," I replied. Dad pulled the engine and Lizzie roared to life. He laughed.

        "That's Lizzie right there!" he exclaimed. 

        "Your dad's such a goofball," Dylan said as he laughed. I tried to force a smile.

        "Rog, you getting in or not?" Dad called out. Mr. Reed nodded and covered the barbecue stove as he ran to the boat.

        "I want to get in!" Jake said as he suddenly showed up beside us.

        "Me too!" Meredith said.

        "Nah, it's my and Jamie's turn," Dylan said as he got in the boat.

        "Be careful!" Our mother said in unison and our dads ignored them. We were too much alike.

        The boat rocked as all four of us, me, Dylan, Dad, and Roger, got on, but soon enough we shot through the lake and were circling around it in a much faster speed than I had anticipated. I now knew why they loved Lizzie. The wind teased us with water as we glided through the lake like a brush on a canvas. I was actually enjoying it.

        Dad and Mr. Reed looked like they were our age or so, as they laughed together and took turns driving the boat. I wondered how all of this would change if Mr. Reed knew that his daughter was actually my father's. I had a hard time believing that so I chose to ignore it instead.

        "You guys want to drive her around a bit?" Dad said. Dylan shook his head.

        "Maybe later, for now we'd like to watch," he said as he smiled at me. How did Dad not ask me for my opinion?

        "Yeah I agree with Dylan," I forced myself to say.

       "Fair enough," Dad said as he sped up.

         "I guess your time's up, boys. Jake and Mer look like they're about to swim to the boat," Mr. Reed said as he pointed at the two small figures standing with their arms crossed on the warf.

         "Don't worry, Jamie," Dylan said to me with a voice low enough for only me to hear. "We'll get back on the lake tonight. Just you and me."