03 | Cassian

Cassian didn't have to look at him to see Rowan's teasing smirk

"You realise you just had the Iris all wrapped up in your arms, right?" He chuckled.

Now that all the commotion had gone down, their light footfalls were the only source of noise in the corridor.

"Iris? Is that her name?" Cassian replied nonchalant. "She slipped and I just happened to be there to catch her. Nothing extraordinary."

"Whatever polishes your dagger, Your Highness." Rowan said in a sing-song. "And what do you mean by asking if that is her name? Everyone knows Iris. She's the most coveted for at Wildflower. Did you even take a good look at her just now?"

Cassian did take a good look at her. That was exactly what bothered him at the moment. Though she smelt of nothing but faint perfume of spring, it was her mere presence that awoke something in him. He wasn't stupid, Iris was beautiful. He could decipher as much even with the masquerade mask.

'Why does she seem so familiar and yet so different?' He pondered.

"How do you even know about her anyway?" Cassian raised a questioning eyebrow. And then something like disgust crossed his features. "Don't tell me you spent a night with her! You have a mate out there-"

Rowan laughed. He actually threw his head back and laughed. He slid the door to their meeting room open and stood back to let Cassian enter first.

"Not just anybody gets to spend a night with Iris, Your Highness!" He said. "Rumor has it that nobody has so far yet managed to woo her enough to get cosy."

"Iris isn't available for the general public, Your Highness. She is the prized jewel of Wildflower. Very few have had the opportunity to be served refreshments by her during meetings as these." Another Blood Knight quipped up.

Cassian gave them a passive look. "It seems I have to increase the hours of training. All of you supposedly have ample time in your hands to know the history of a brothel house worker."