12 | Cassian

Cassian pulled at the stiff, pressed collar of his dress shirt

Cassian pulled at the stiff, pressed collar of his dress shirt. The candled ends of the satin ruffle brushed against his skin as a maid folded the fabric under the collar of his dress shirt.

"Would you like for me to unfasten the button, Your Highness?" One of the maids helping him dress asked politely.

They had been deployed as soon as the news of Cassian's return to the palace without the Princess consort had reached the Queen's chambers.

Cassian learnt the moment he stepped inside the palace that Rowan had been unsuccessful in his mission of covering for him. A single sharp order from the Alpha King and Rowan was laying down Cassian's whereabouts in great detail.

The Chief Royal Butler, Reginald, visited him in Cassian's study with a letter from his mother requesting her son to join his parents for breakfast. Cassian knew what that meant - excessive questions until he came clean. He heard the whispers run free in the palace.

In fact, Cassian heard the murmurs and quiet whispers as he passed through the hallways to the dining hall.

"Jessy waited the tables and she swore that the Prince found his lunar mate just as the commotion began."

"They're staying separately and it hasn't even been an entire week yet."

"Maybe she heard of the rumors..."

"Or she already has somebody waiting for her elsewhere."

"Do you think-"

Cassian's chest rumbled so harshly in warning that the maid who spoke last, dropped the tray from her hands. The glass teacups and teapot shattered into a hundred glittering pieces. Scalding hot tea splattered on the hardwood path and over her stockinged feet. She yelped in pain but didn't dare move from her spot.

"One more word out of any of you and you will find your head perched bloody on a spike in the courtyard." Cassian warned.

"Disperse. And clean this mess at once." Reginald ordered. He had arrived just in time to witness Cassian's outburst.