23 | Cassian

Cassian was angry

Cassian was angry. No, he was more than angry. He was furious. A muscle ticked in his jaw from clenching it for too long. Rowan leaned against the wall opposite Cassian. Both of them, along with Adelpha waited in the visitor's parlour outside of the Crown Prince's chambers. Adelpha sighed softly.

"I still don't think Kai would have done this to her. He loves her-" She began to say.

A low growl echoed in the quiet room. Adelpha glanced at Cassian with a frown.

"I understand you don't like to hear it, Your Highness. But even you cannot change the fact that it's true." Adelpha said.

"My Lady, I advise you to refrain from lending your support to the wolven while the crime is still under investigation." Rowan spoke before Cassian could lash out at the foolish female.

"I mean no offence to the Crown Prince but I have known both Kai and my sister way longer than-" Adelpha continued in defence.

Cassian stood up abruptly. The chair he was seated in seconds before fell backwards in a loud thud. Adelpha winced. Rowan straightened his stance, eyes fixed on his alpha.

"You are still allowed inside the walls of the palace only at the mercy of your sister. Do not disgrace her name in vain." Cassian said curtly.

Whatever Adelpha had to reply was left to the wind when the doors to his bedchamber opened. The head of the royal healers looked solemn as Cassian entered. Behind him, Cassian heard Rowan stop Adelpha from intruding the privacy.

"She is my sister before she is anything to the likes of you all!" Adelpha yelled.

Their voices drowned out as the guards shut the doors close. Cassian kept his footfalls silent as he walked to the bed. The royal healer stood by the bedside table, her hands neatly folded together at the front. Rhea was still unconscious. Cassian eyed the rise and fall of her chest to calm himself.