10 | Cassian

The sound of their combined footfalls echoed through the basement holding cells

The sound of their combined footfalls echoed through the basement holding cells. The guards bowed as Cassian and Rowan made their way through the maze of the dungeons.

"Your Highness." Quinn and Xander chorused as they bowed.

The stench of blood and decaying flesh coated the stale air. Cassian scrunched his nose in disgust at the three mangled bodies that lay within the cells.

"Speak." He ordered.

"The guards reported that the prisoners were alright during the last check. But sometime around the early hours of dawn, they heard loud thrashing and screaming. By the time they reached, three were already past salvageable. The other two are quarantined and kept under constant surveillance." Quinn reported.

"Have they been interrogated about the incident?" Rowan questioned.

"They have been unconscious ever since, Sir." Xander said.

"Get medics to survey the bodies. I want the reports on my table by nightfall. Did you get their identifications?" Cassian asked.

Quinn handed him a thin folder. "Every name attached the faces here have been dead for a while, if not decades. Their identities are still a mystery but Thomas is diligently working on it, Your Highness. We will report to you at the first sight of information."

Cassian scanned through the unfamiliar names. Ziva Payge. Penelope Grace. Claude Alaistair. Nikolaus Evander. Farrel Cooper.

None of the names struck a familiar chord. Rowan shook his head after scanning the pages. The names belonged to people of different ages - with the youngest being fifteen and oldest one hundred and seventy three years old.

"The two remaining ones are Ziva and Farrel." Xander informed.

"Find out what you can about them in detail and send for us as soon as they're conscious." Cassian told the two Blood Knights on the way out.

"I can't imagine what could tear apart a wolven to shreds like that." Rowan said uneasily.

Cassian nodded in agreement. "Whatver this is, I'm afraid it far more serious that just wolven trafficking."