Chapter 57- Lilies

Lily POV

It's the day before graduation. I'm a nervous wreck.

I've been through my speech a million times, editing and reediting every detail. I've set out my outfit perfectly. I'm stressing about my nail color when James knocks lightly on my door. "Come on." I tilt my head. "Where? I can't I have to-" He cuts me off, grabbing my hand. "Nope. You don't have anything to do. You, Lily-flower, are coming with me." He pulls me downstairs. "Ok." I say, the slightest bit suspicious. He wraps a black blindfold around my eyes. "James what in the name of Merlin is going on?" He laughs from somewhere in the room and I stick my hands out, blindly walking towards the sound of his voice.

I trip and almost fall on my face. James grabs my arms, supporting my weight before pulling me back up to standing. "Okay, no moving unless I'm here to help you." We walk down a couple corridors and a few flights of stairs. "Okay. We're here." He slips the blindfold off gently, and we're in the middle of the forest. I automatically reach for James's hand. "Relax, okay?" He says, squeezing my hand. I step forward and a path automatically appears. I turn around to look at James. He has a nervous grin on his face. I cautiously walk down the path and Remus is standing around the corner. He has a lily in his hands. He hands it to me, grinning. This goes down the line, with Bella, Sirius, Mary, Alice, and lastly, Elliot. He winks at me before walking away.

I hold the bouquet of lilies in my hands and turn around the last bend. My breath catches.

The branches of the trees are strung and intertwined with fairy lights. There's a blanket in the middle of the trees, with a basket full of food. There's light music playing in the bathroom. My eyes fill up with tears. "Did you do this?" I ask breathlessly. He blushes and nods modestly. I throw my arms around him, hugging him tightly. "Do you wanna sit?" I nod, crossing my legs underneath me. We eat in silence for a minute. "I can't believe you did this all for me."

"I love you, Lily." He blurts out, looking down at his lap. I look at him thoughtfully, a smile playing on my lips. "I love you too, James." I wipe my hands off on a napkin, pushing my plate of chocolate covered strawberries to the side. "So. Are you going to tell me why you actually invited me here today?" I pause for a minute. "I mean, don't get me wrong this is absolutely AMAZING. I love it, and I love you. But I mean, it seems like too much amazing for a date night." I say shyly. The song on the radio switches to the song we first danced together at the Ball. Back in September. My eyes well up with tears again. He gets up and holds out a hand. I accept it and we start dancing slowly. We're so close I can feel his heartbeat. It's fast. Really fast. He starts whispering in my ear.

"I love you. I love your fiery red hair, I love your emerald green eyes. I love your freckly skin. I love how when you get angry you raise your eyebrows and they furrow together. I love how when you smile it lights up the room. I love how I can always tell what you're thinking. I love how I can tell your emotions from your eyes. I love how short and adorable you are. I love how you twist your fingers when you are nervous. I love how you crack your neck and twist your hair up with a pencil before making a difficult potion. I love you, and I love everything about you.

So, before I chicken out and throw up, Lily Marie Evans,"

He bends down and slips a small box out of his pocket. "Will you marry me?" I gasp and my hands start to shake. "Yes. Yes yes yes yes!" I whisper, jumping up and down. He grins, disbelief in his eyes. "Seriously?" I nod quickly, still jumping. He gets up, hands shaking as he tries to get the ring out of the box. "Just..have..to...get...it...out." He says. I look at the ring, remelting inside. It's perfect. It's completely and utterly perfect. He slips it onto my ring finger on my left hand, both of us still shaking. I press a fleeting kiss to his lips, jumping onto him. I latch my legs on his hips, squeezing tightly. "I can't wait for you to me Mrs. Potter." He whispers into my ear, making chills trickle down my spine. "Mrs. Potter." I repeat, trying the name out for myself. "I like the sound of that." I feel him grin. "I love the sound of that."