Chapter 19- Worries

I sighed. Tomorrow's September 1st, and we still haven't heard from James. Most of the time, me and Sirius just sit in my room staring at each other, or staring at the window, hoping for something that lets us know he's okay. I finger my necklace, and pull the covers up to my chin on my bed. I can tell Sirius isn't asleep, because he's just laying there silently. When he sleeps, he breathes. Really loudly. "Sirius." I whisper, and pat the side of the bed next to me. 

He silently pads over and sits next to me. "I'm just so worried, Evans." he whispers, running his hands through his hair. You know he's stressed when he touches his hair. I pull him into a side hug. "Hey, we all are. James is tough, they both are. If anyone can make it through it, James and Rosie can." I say, reassuring myself along with Sirius. An owl smacks the window. Me and Sirius both jump up and race to the window. I open it and let the poor thing in. He has a sack on his leg, which I'm assuming held letters at one time, but was now empty except for two letters. The owl squawked and held out one of the letters in his beak towards me. 

I take it and sit on the bed. "What is it??" Sirius asks, sitting across me. "I don't know." I say, turning the envelope thrice in my hands. I open it and a shiny badge falls out. We gasp simultaneously. I pick up the badge with caution and flip it over.

Head Girl, Lily Evans
Gryffindor 7th year

"CONGRATS LIL!" Sirius says, tackling me with a hug as I sit there in shock. A smile grows on my face and I hug Sirius back. "I knew it would be you." He says, ruffling my hair. I blush, and punch him modestly. "I don't know what to say." "Easy. You have to say I accept." "How do you know that?" "It says it in the letter." I pick up the forgotten letter.

Dear Miss Lily Evans,
        Congratulations! You've been chosen as Hogwarts Head Girl. For us to accept your position, just say I accept to the owl and he will deliver the message to me. Heads get their own dormitories, which are located on the 9th floor, 14th corridor, behind the portrait of  a ballet dancer, Miss Skylar Flames. You just have to tell her your chosen password, and that will be your password till you wish to change it once more. Please come to my office straight after the Sorting to discuss more head matters. By the way, I love Fudge Flies.

Albus Percvial Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Order of Merlin, First Class

"Oh my gosh." I say, shaking my head. "I accept." I say to the owl, and he flies out of the room, dropping the second letter on the floor which has a big red stamp on it that says return to sender. Sirius picks it up and reads it, turning pale as I see him skim the first paragraph. "What?" "James is Head Boy." He says, laughing and shaking his head. "NO!" I gasp in disbelief. "Yes" He says still laughing. We laugh together about it more than necessary because it's been a while since we laughed. Petunia bursts into my room with her hands on her hips.

We both tense. "Yes, Tuney?" I say, raising my eyebrows. "Tomorrow you guys go back to that freak school, right?" We nod slowly, not sure of this direction. "Come. Both of you." We follow her and she pauses to put on The Beatles on my record player. Sirius plays the air guitar and I  laugh. To my surprise, Petunia does too. "Come on. Let's go. Time to do some damage control to both of you sulking people." She drags us into the bathroom. As she forces Sirius into the shower, she takes me and cleans my room up along with packing my trunk to Hogwarts with clothes. When Sirius is done, she tackles his hair, and forced me in the shower. I see her bring out the scissors and nod in approval. It's starting to look like an overgrown dog. 

When I get out, Sirius's hair is cut to his shoulders and has the blow out of a lifetime. It's looking back to its usual standard, and Sirius is being handed a ziploc full of hair supplies. She tackles my hair with giving Sirius the task of folding his laundry which he surprisingly does without complaint. She takes a while on my hair, massaging out all the knots and twisting it into a french braid. By the time she's done, we both are showered, has presentable outfits and hair, trunks packed and my room is pristine with a load of folded clean laundry of my bed. "Thank you, Petunia. But why-?" I say, shaking my head. "Don't mention it. We go back to what we were before." She says shortly, giving me a hug and hugging Sirius. 

"I'll see you in 10 years, Lily. Maybe even at the wedding. Remember what I said before. This changes nothing." And with that she walks out closing the door swiftly behind her. Me and Sirius flop back on the bed.

"Who was that and what did they do to Petunia Evans?"