Chapter 28- Trips down Memory Lane

Lily POV

"What do you mean, that's not a normal mirror? It's a mirror, we're standing in front of it and we see our reflections!" He exclaims. "I need to sit down." I sit on the floor and place my head in my hands, still trying to comprehend all of this. He wasn't lying.... he was never lying. "Lily, what's wrong? It's just a mirror." I explode. "See, that's the thing! It's not just a mirror, James! It never will be just a mirror! Erised. That's desire backwards! When you look in that mirror, you see your innermost heart's desire. If the happiest guy in the world looked in that god damn mirror, he would see himself just as he is." "It shows us whatever we want.... whatever we want..." He mumbles, sitting down next to me.

"Do you ever wonder why I've rejected you for so long?" I asked quietly. He laughs quietly. "I used to. Everyday. I would sit in the common room for hours with the boys sometimes, searching our brains for one reason that you would hate me. Remus, the only sane one at the time, probably, told me the truth. It was probably the worst thing he's said to me. He told me that you just didn't have any romantic feelings toward me. Up until about the end of 5th year, I would follow Sirius's plans and advice. Cause he always seemed that the girls liked him. After the whole INCIDENT, I sat Remus down and said, what do you suggest? He told me the same thing that he's been telling me for 5 years. So I did it, and to my glory it worked. 

We became friends, and even though I loved that, it killed me because I was still hopelessly in love with you. When you told me to stay that one night, I thought I was hallucinating and would wake up in the Great Hall. The past months, have been the best of my life. At least once a year, one of the boys would say to me, 'She hates you, mate!' I would shake my head and keep walking, always the same answer-'Nah, she doesn't.'" He let out a giant whoosh of breath and laughed shakily again. " The day before I found you, Sirius said to me, 'She likes you, mate!' I just shook my head sadly and said, 'Nah, she doesn't.'" "Well, I did. Look where that ended you." I said, shaking him out of his little sad trance, staring at the floor. He looked up suddenly. "Would you tell me? Why, I mean?" I scooted so our knee caps were touching. "To put it short, I thought you were just doing it to embarrass me. I thought it was just a big game to you and the boys, always figuring out how to do it next. No, I didn't hate you. You're not a girl, you wouldn't understand. I started getting feelings for you that day in Charms class. Remember? I stared at you for 5 minutes straight cause I couldn't figure out that you were the same James Potter I'd known since I was 11. 

Then I threw a Numerology and & Ancient Runes book at you." He looked up and our eyes met. James kissed me so hard that I fell over. It was different than when he kissed me before. This one was years of piled up hurt and anger, and months of longing. He pushed himself off of me so I was under him, shocked. "Sorry." He panted. "I had to do that." He held a hand out and we both stood up, brushing years worth of dust on the floor off of ourselves. I pulled him back to the mirror and closed my eyes before looking mirror Lily in the eye. I gasped. "Well, what do you see?" he said eagerly. I walked closer to the Mirror, studying myself. "It's me and all my friends. We're all alive and happy, and my family's there, with Petunia not mad at me." Something appeared vibrantly in my eyes. "But in the very front, it's me looking very happy with a black haired and green eyed baby boy on my hip, with a very grown up and professional looking James Fleamont Potter." The look on his face is PURE joy, and I can see he's estactic. He scooped me up in a giant hug and twirled around like a child. "James!" I laughed. 

"You actually want me, like you really really want me." "I always will, James." He kisses me again and we sit down, comparing details in our images. It turns out it's him and me with a scarless Remus and Sirius in the background, Peter at the ground with a smile on his face. There's a badge on his chest that instead of Gryffindor Qudditch Captain, reads Head Auror. His parents are standing in the background smiling, and healthy. Rosie is standing by our feet, playing with the same baby from my images. He laughs. "You know what I would always tell the guys? That one day you would fall in love with me, and we would have 10 beautiful children and live a long life together. The names varied each week, but the first born would look like me but have your eyes. The day we moved in together, I would get you an orange cat." I burst out laughing. 

He points an accusing finger at me."No laughing! I was 12!" I continue to laugh harder and he eventually joins me, and then kisses me to cut me off. We then lay down together in front of the window to look at the stars. His fingers interwin with mine. "James?" "Yeah?" "I love you." " I love you too." Sirius comes running into the classroom and we sit up as he leans against the doorway, panting. "You.... have no idea...... how hard it was..... to find you." He pants. He straightens up, looks over his shoulder, and looks at then mirror again. I feel James tense up next to me, and lean in eagerly. "Uh, guys?"

"Maybe I'm just really out of breath, but..... you're over there, but in the mirror with Reggie and your parents, James...."

"Wait, what the hell? I just left her, why's Bella here?"