Ch. 14: Reassurance

Victoria's POV

My eyes fluttered open gently and my back was supported by a soft mattress beneath me. By instinct I clutched the thick covers around me, gasping as all my thoughts from the previous night shrouded my head.

What had happened? Where was I now?

The room I was in was very expensive and well decorated. I had almost believed I was back home, until I remembered my dad would throw a fit if any of the rooms had green decor. He hated green, and this room had a decor of dark green and blue.

The door crept open and I averted my face towards the doorway. I squinted as the man known as Sebastian wheeled a cart in, a smile plastered on his face.

"Good afternoon mistress, today we're offering an Earl Grey blend. How many sugars would you prefer?"

I blinked, looking down at myself. I wondered who had changed me into a white night gown. My hair was down reaching about half an inch below my shoulders and it had fallen into my natural curls. "Where's Ciel?" I asked.

"My, straight to the questions." he dropped one lump of sugar in. "One more?"

I furrowed my brows. "Sure. Where am I?"

Sebastian dropped a second lump in and handed me the teacup with its plate. I held it, inhaling the scent and taking a sip.

"The Phantomhive manor, of course. I am the Phantomhive butler, Sebastian Michaelis, or you may know me as Professor Michaelis." He flashed a smile. "It's a privilege to meet you in my normal appearance."

"What... why is this going on? Why did you pose as a teacher?" I tilted my head. It didn't make sense, had they been looking for Derrick Arden and this entire time?

The door opened once more and Ciel stood confidently in the doorway. His lips were in a firm line, and his appearance was that of a true noble. He wore a top hat and a black eyepatch, a walking stick in his hand.

I smiled when I saw him, taking another sip and setting the tea on the tray. I opened my mouth to speak but he interrupted me.

"Victoria Ashdown." he stated, taking steps towards me. "I would like to welcome you to my manor." he gestured his arms out, a small smile dancing on his lips.

I nodded gently. "What happened last night?" I sat up fully, rubbing my head.
Ciel glanced at Sebastian and he took that as the memo to leave. Sebastian bowed politely and left the room, closing the door behind him.

"There are some things that are out of your reach to understand, Victoria."
Ciel sat down on the edge of the bed, looking down at me.

"I can try to understand." I said, moving towards him a bit. I set my hand on top of his and he seemed to fluster a bit. "Who was that man last night? Undertaker?" Why did he have a giant scythe-like sword? Did he create the zombies?

If so, how?

Ciel sighed. "A friend of my father's. He's been creating those... things. Sebastian and I have been investigating them for a while. But we don't know why or how he's doing it. That's all you need to know."

"But why Derrick Arden?"

"I said that's all you need to know." Ciel snapped back. I frowned.

He sighed gently. "Her highness asked me to investigate his disappearance. They're cousins. Now we know what happened to him."

It suddenly dawned on me. The Phantomhives were the queen's watch dogs. I had almost forgotten, and it made sense why Ciel was investigating now.

"What did the prefects say?"

"The prefects caught Arden and his friends bullying other students. Once Mr. Agares wouldn't intervene, they found out he was on their side. The prefects took it upon themselves and killed them all."

My eyes went wide. "Killed them?"

He nodded gently, putting a finger to his lips. "The four of them are expelled, but that is their only punishment. Thanks to myself. Their fags took their positions as prefects."

I stared at him in shock, shaking my head. "This is all so... so..." I couldn't muster the words.

"You don't have to go back." Ciel said abruptly.

"What? I have to, my father-" he interrupted me.

"He doesn't have to know. No one does."

"Where would I go?" I asked. He looked at me as if I were stupid.

"Here, of course. I would like you to stay with me, Victoria." Ciel's voice was calm yet serious. He leaned in and pressed his lips ever so gently against mine. I blushed, closing my eyes and kissing back with ease. Where was this going to lead? It wasn't as if we could get married, not until either of us called off our engagements.

He pulled away now. "My home is your home. This could even be your room."

"I couldn't stay with you?" I asked.

He blushed. "No. It would be inappropriate. Plus, I barley slept
with you in the first place. I stayed up." His voice dropped. "I didn't want my night terrors to frighten you."

I stayed silent. He had a point, but I would miss sleeping next to him. My voice dropped to a whisper. "You couldn't scare me."

He smiled a bit. "You're truly an angel, Victoria."

I felt my cheeks turn red. "Where's the real headmaster?"

"It turned out he left on vacation for a few months. Mr. Agares was supposed to be in charge, but the students had killed him and turned to Undertaker for help." Ciel explained.

"Jeeze..." I muttered, shaking my head. "I wonder if my father knew."

"I don't think anyone knew if I'm being quite honest."

I stayed quiet. My thoughts were jumbled all over the place.

"Victoria." Ciel lifted my chin up. "You're free to be who you want here."

I smiled gently. "I know, Ciel."

He placed his arms on either side of me, bringing his face close to mine. "But whatever happens, you have to keep us a secret."

-----

A/N: Sorry the chapter was kind of shorter! We'll be starting into a new arc soon that I've designed. 😊 Also, if you guys like demons and dark stories (I mean, you've watched Black Butler) check out my one book Target to a Demon! There's also another book I just started which is a dark spin off of Peter Pan. Thanks for reading!