Ch. 5: Ruining Reputations

"We have to do it before June the fourth." I whispered, walking side by side with Ciel as we were making our way towards the classroom. After days of carefully planning out every detail, all that was left was to actually carry out the plan. I was confident in it, knowing I would be doing most of the work and reporting back to Ciel. He was like the operator, and I was the delivery man. I knew the plan was foolproof, and wouldn't get past even the best of the fags.

"June fourth? What's June fourth?" Ciel asked curiously, looking at me. I rose a brow.

"The huge annual cricket tournament? It's the biggest event of the year!" I exclaimed, shocked he had no clue. "The houses play against each other, and the prefects pick the teams. Sapphire Owl usually loses, but it's fun to watch. Everyone's family comes and watches, too. It's a three-day thing. We eat, play, then eat again."

Ciel was listening as I explained. "Sounds stupid." he said.

I smirked a bit. "Even the principal takes it seriously. He comes and watches, too. I mean, if he gets time. But he usually does." I said.

I saw Ciel's eyes gleam at that. Why was he so obsessed with the principal? It confused me and only led me to believe even more so that he was hiding something.

But I couldn't judge.

He finally spoke; "Do it today then."

"Today?" I asked. "Do you think we're ready?"

"Sure." he answered as we walked into the classroom. We took our seats next to each other. "Look at that paper I got you the other day and look for him during fag time. He should give you a task right then and there." Ciel said. I trusted him, although now that it was at a specific time, I began to feel anxious. What if it failed because I was from another house? What if he simply began to catch on?

Class began but I could barely pay attention as Professor Michaelis spoke. All I could think about was the possibilities this could turn out badly.

--------

The bell rang and everyone stood up. Ciel glanced at me and a smile curled on his lips.

It was fag time.

"You can do it." he said, turning to face me fully now. "Make me proud, don't disappoint."

"I'm not planning on it." I answered. The last thing I wanted was to disappoint him or embarrass myself. I wanted to show him what I was capable of, but why? I never cared about what people thought before.

But Ciel was the exception.

He turned on his heel now and walked out of the classroom, presumably going to work for Clayton. I took a breath. I assumed Cole was in the Scarlet Fox library like he had been before. That seemed to be his hot spot for breaking the rules, most likely because the only one that was ever in there was Joanne.

I walked out of class, noticing Mr. Michaelis glancing at me from the corner of his eye. I felt uneasy, remembering a few days earlier.

We all have our secrets.

What were his?

What were Ciel's?

I shuddered, quickly leaving the classroom. I felt anxiety in the pit of my stomach, knowing my next stop was Maurice Cole. I walked out of the building, careful to stay on the path to the Scarlet Fox library. Once again I ignore the looks from the students. I didn't care what they thought, so why did I care so much about Ciel's opinion of me?

As I made my way into the library, it wasn't hard to spot Maurice Cole's blonde curls from the other side of the room. It looked as if he were waiting for someone. He was looking around suspiciously, his abnormally long eyelashes fluttering against his cheeks. They almost looked fake, like an actresses'.