Chapter Three: For the Love of Clarey

Alana’s Pov

            If someone was screaming things that you didn't want to hear what would you do? You could punch them in the face. That might shut them up…or it might make them scream louder. I like to plug my ears and sing on the top of my lungs “LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE I LOVE WATCHING YOU GRO-OOO-OW”. But what if that voice was screaming in your head? What would you do then?

            Mate

            LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE…

            Mate

            I LOVE WATCHING YOU GRO-OOO-OW…

            MATE

            Shut up! I heard you the first 500 times!

            MATE!

            Fine! I get it! He’s our mate, but it doesn’t matter. We’ve got to get out of here.

            Mate

            Arguing with my wolf was almost impossible. She lived on instinct. I decided that the only way to get out of this was to appeal to her motherly instincts. I thought of my brothers and sister. I imagine them scared and alone in the car. Cubs? she asked with a whine. Yes, I replied that’s why we have to go.

            While I was having this internal argument, I still hadn’t looked away from him and he hadn’t released my arm. I knew that he was an Alpha. I could sense it. It was unusual for me. I wasn’t used to feeling a wolf’s power. My instincts were telling me to break eye contact, to lower my head, to submit. That made me angry. I was a rogue. I didn’t submit to anyone. I narrowed my eyes at him and lifted my chin. An Alpha wouldn’t miss the fact that I was challenging him.

            "My Luna," Sam said in awe. He was staring at me. He lowered himself onto one knee and bowed. I jerked my head around when I heard when I heard three men and two female voices echo the words. Before I could see their faces, they all went down on one knee as well. Then Sam stood and pressed his fist over his heart and each of the wolves followed, one by one. They seemed to be waiting for me to do something. Okay…so this is probably some kind of pack wolf tradition, right? So I should say something serious and…wolflike?

               “Umm….Remember the Wolf is a Hunter -- go forth and get food of thine own. Keep peace with Lords of the Jungle -- the Tiger, the Panther, and Bear.”                             

               “Are you quoting ‘The Jungle Book,” Sam asked. “That may be the best acceptance speech ever.”  

            “What are you talking about? I’m not accepting anything," I cried, "I have no idea what’s going on. It’s just you were all bowing and I felt really awkward and I figured if I said some serious wolf shit you guys would stop acting all creepy.”

            Sam smiled a crooked smile. “Well, I guess I’d better explain. You, sweetheart, are our Alpha’s mate. That makes you our Luna, our leader. We have pledged our lives to you.”

            "I don’t want your lives!” I shouted, sounding hysterical, “I can barely handle my own. So…umm… bye.”

            I ran two steps before realizing that the Alpha was still attached to my arm. I’d like to think my faceplant was more graceful than the average faceplant, but who am I kidding? My kidnappers all laughed at me. I glared. But one good thing happened when I fell. The Alpha let go of my arm. I stood and dusted the dirt and grass off with as much dignity as I could manage. I turned to make a break for it and froze. My car was there in all its rusted glory. I half ran, half stumbled over to it and desperately pressed my face to the window. Clarey! Jacob! Dare! My siblings were here, sleeping peacefully in the backseat. Happiness replaced my confusion and frustration instantly. I yanked the door open and shook them.