Chapter One: For the Love of a Wallet

Alana's Pov

The club had been blasting music for a few hours before I made my move. Confident. Be confident, I chanted to myself. That wasn't working, so I started singing under my breath. My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard...The song made a huge smile come over my face. I walked up to the doorman and slipped him some bills. This better be worth it. What I had left in my wallet couldn't buy a stick of gum. He let me in, no ID necessary.

People jumped and grinded to the heavy pulse of an electronic song. I wondered what type of club this was. I saw everything from classy black dresses to cutoff denim shorts and barely-there T-shirts.

I looked across the bar and saw girls sitting with their backs arched and their legs crossed. When girls sit like that, it's an invitation, no matter how they act when a guy starts hitting on them. I copied them. Soon enough, a guy walked over and leaned on the bar next to me.

"You want to know something interesting?" he asked, "We're the only two wolves in the club tonight. You and me. Isn't that interesting?"

I tilted my head towards him and sniffed. It was true. He was a wolf. Shit. That's not what I wanted. I turned and faced a pair of mischievous brown eyes. It was obvious that he thought he was a stud, but as I looked him over the word that came to mind was cute. He had a boyish face, brown eyes and floppy brown hair. Something about his eyes made it seem like he was an easy laugher.

"Are you done checking me out yet," he asked, smirking.

"Yes," I replied.

"And..."

"And you're not half as hot as you think you are." At that he burst out in loud laughter. He pulled a bar stool close to me and sat down. I guess we'd be talking for a while then.

Hours later, the club was still full of people, but now most of them were drunk. I wasn't and neither was the guy sitting next to me. His name, I had learned, was Sam. Our drinks sat untouched as we continued to talk and laugh. This is someone I could be friends with if...things were different.

"So..." he said awkwardly, "Want to get out of here?"

"Yeah." I grabbed my purse and hopped off the bar stool. When we reached the door, he stopped and turned to me.

"Listen, you seem really great, so I'm just going to say this. I'm just looking for a one-night stand." I was surprised that he had told me. Most guys wouldn't have done that. And most girls would have walked away at that point.

"I know." I said bluntly.

"Really?"

"Yeah. You're too polite to be a rogue. You're a pack wolf and you're alone. You're mate hunting, aren't you?" He nodded. "And I'm not your mate. Well, she's a lucky girl. I hope you find her soon. Can we go now?"

He smiled and grabbed my hand. When we reached the parking lot I tried not to look at the ratty Camry in the third row. I hoped they were asleep. I really hoped they were asleep. Sam led me towards a sleek, silver sports car. It was Ferrari, of course. I was quiet, suddenly in a somber mood. We arrived in front of a large hotel that screamed money. I could never afford to stay at a place like this. Sam opened my door and helped me out of his car. He tossed the keys to a valet and stared at me for a moment.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

I laughed and nudged his shoulder. "Are you alright?" I said back at him.

"Oh I'm great!" he said leading me to his room as eager as a puppy.

His room was all white with gold lining. It had a minibar and a king-sized bed. Through one door, I could see a pristine bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub. It was huge! Sam laughed at the look on my face and went to make me a drink. This was getting harder and harder. I shouldn't have learned his name. When he turned around and saw my gun pointed at him he set the drinks back on the bar. He walked towards me, slowly, like he was approaching a rabid animal.