Chapter Twenty: For the Love of Ice Cream

Kylie’s Pov

Damn. Damn. Damn. Why was this happening to me? I peered down from the branch I was balanced on and sure enough he was still there. Jake. I woke up from a long nap in my favorite oak tree and saw him sitting beneath me with his back against the trunk. I didn’t know if he was awake or not, I couldn’t see his face, but either way he was blocking my way down. I pounded my fist against the branch in frustration. Of course I could just ask him to move, but I wasn’t going to. I had taken sort of a vow of silence when it came to him, not that that had stopped him from talking to me. Damn, stubborn wolf.

I stood up on the branch and considered jumping on his head. That would teach him.

“Kylie?” His voice rang out clearly in the night. I hated his voice. He always sounded amused, like he was laughing to himself. No one should be that happy all the time. It wasn’t healthy.

“Do you need something?” Yeah, I need something, you idiot. I need you to move your big ass out of my way.

“Well,” he drawled, “If you don’t need anything, I’ll just go back to sleep.”

That’s it! I’ve had it! I’m jumping down! And if I happen to land on his balls and prevent him from ever having kids, I’ll be doing the world a goddamn favor! I closed my eyes launched myself straight down, waiting to hear a crunch.

Instead, when I landed it was surprisingly soft and…dear god! What was that? I felt around once more. My eyes shot open. Jake’s face was heart-pounding close as he smirked down at me. What?! I looked around and saw that I wasn’t, in fact, standing on his balls or even on the floor. He was standing up holding me against his chest. He caught me. I pushed forcefully on his chest fell out of his arms and landed on the floor with a smack. My breath flew out. Ouch.

“Are you alright?” I hate his voice.

“You didn’t have to do that. I would have put you down…eventually.” 

I stood and brushed myself off with what little dignity I could muster. Damn annoying wolf. Everything was his fault, his stupid voice and face and hands. I hated him. Everything was a joke to him. He thought he was so funny, but he wasn’t. Oh, and this, what was happening right now, was his fault too. He had me ranting in my head all day long. I was going crazy.

“Kylie?” I looked up to glare, but my jaw fell open when I realized how close he was. When had he moved so close to me?

“You’re so beautiful.” He reached up to touch my face. I jerked away quickly and backed away from him. Was this another joke? He walked towards me with a glazed look in his eyes. I ran away.

As my feet pounded the forest floor, I did my best to stop thinking. It would have been easier if I couldn’t feel him running right behind me. I sped up and twisted through the trees. I leapt over streams and went through shortcuts that only I knew about. I had spent a lot of time in the forest lately. He was still behind me. Damn. I was a fast runner, I knew that, but I would’ve killed to be just a bit faster at the moment. Then, as if the universe was conspiring against me, it started to rain. I felt one drop on my face and then it was pouring. In no time the ground was slick and wet branches slapped my arms and legs. If I slipped once, he would catch up to me and then… I don’t know what would happen. He would probably look at me like that again and that would be bad. No thinking, just running.

Underneath my skin, I could feel my wolf’s frustration. She loved running, but she would prefer to be running towards our mate, not away. I flinched as I thought that word.

Suddenly, the trees opened up and I was facing a giant cliff. I wouldn’t be able to climb it, not in the rain anyway. I was trapped. My eyes darted side to side until I noticed a shadow at the bottom of the cliff. It was a cave. I walked into it and waited for my eyes to adjust. When I saw the inside of the cave, I backed away quickly, but it was too late. Jake was standing in the entrance.