Chapter Twenty Four: For the Love of Little Villagers

Kylie’s Pov

I watched as he stepped out of the shadows. Brown shaggy hair and playful eyes. I remembered a scrawny boy around my age, but standing in front of me was a strong wolf man. I guess three years in a pack like Brock’s would do that to you.

“We thought you were dead,” he said slowly.

I nodded. “Yeah, same to you. Wait, do you say ‘we’? Who else is here?”

“Me,” a deep voice spoke and a large wolf stepped forward. He had tanned skin and dark, black hair. Blake. When our pack was still alive, Blake was the Beta. Even though Blake was years younger than Alana’s dad, everyone respected him. He had proven himself in battle. I couldn’t believe they were alive. I ran forward and hugged them both. They smelled just like I remembered, like home.

“So, you’re alive. Does that mean…” I started afraid to finish my question. They shook their heads. My parents were dead. My eyes stayed dry. I had accepted that fact three years ago. I’m glad that they didn’t say it out loud. I didn’t need Jake feeling sorry for me. I turned towards him to see how he was taking all this. He looked at me once then stepped forward to shake hands with them. When Blake noticed Jake he smirked at me. He had always been perceptive.

“This is just darling. Really, I’m tearing up just watching,” the girl who had answered the door drawled sarcastically, “But if you all don’t mind, I told boss man that you’re here and he wants to talk to you.”

She looked us over as if she couldn’t understand why her Alpha was willing to talk to us. Then she turned and walked upstairs. I guessed that we were supposed to follow. Jake held reached for my hand and for once I didn’t pull away. I could use my mate at a time like this.

Alpha Brock’s office was at the end of an eerily dark hallway. I felt like the old paintings on the walls were watching us. One painting had a real dagger sticking out of its chest. I shuddered. Jake squeezed my hand. Jacob laughed. When the girl heard Jacob laughing she turned to him and gave him a nod of approval. I’ll never understand children. She went into the office, to announce us, I guess, and came back out a few minutes later.

Alpha Brock’s office was everything I expected, complete with a secretary who looked like she hadn’t smiled since the Stone Age. She looked us over critically, raised an eyebrow and croaked, “The Alpha is waiting.”

“See Jacob,” Jake whispered, pointing at the hawk-like secretary, “That’s why you stay away from drugs. One smoke and you’ll look like that.”

Jacob shuddered and I laughed. The secretary glared. I guess she didn’t want us laughing. Oh wait! I forgot about wolf senses. She had heard all of that. Sadly, that just made me laugh harder. Jake was a bad influence on me.

We slowly pushed open the door to Alpha Brock’s inner office and stepped in.

“That’s how I knew that there were strange wolves in my pack house,” a baritone voice rumbled in the relative dark of the room, “Laughter is not something I hear often.”

Was that an insult or a complement? Alpha Brock probably thought that laughter was a bad thing.

“Sorry,” I mumbled unsurely. We needed to get on this guy’s good side…if he had one.

“Well, I’m not,” Jacob said spitefully, “Jake said something that was freaking hilarious. He told me that if I do drugs I’ll end up looking like your secretary there. She’s an eyesore if I ever saw one.”

To my immense surprise, Alpha Brock cracked a smile. “I can see why my daughter likes you, Jacob, isn’t it?”

Jacob wrinkled his nose. I guess he was still in the girls-have-cooties-phase. I smiled amusedly and asked Alpha Brock who his daughter was.