Chapter Five: For the Love of the Fight

Sara's Pov

Alana stared at the mirror for a long time. I fidgeted, anxious to hear what she thought of her makeover. Finally she faced me and narrowed her eyes.

"I look like a rogue."

"Exactly," I replied, "Alana, you're meeting the pack tonight. They all know that you were a rogue. To them you still are. You need to show them that you're not ashamed of who you were. No compromise."

Comprehension dawned in her eyes. She thanked me quietly and examined her reflection once more. She usually tied her hair back, but tonight it fell to her waist in wild, black waves. I had taken strands and weaved them in complicated patterns throughout her hair. I put a few small braids near the front. Her makeup was subtly designed to emphasize her tilted, cat-like eyes and high cheekbones. She insisted on choosing her outfit; gray shorts, a black shirt, and no shoes. Altogether, she looked like a straight-out-of-the-forest rogue, beautiful and strange.

I paced to the door and back again, trying to imagine people's reactions. I grew more nervous by the second.

"Clarey, are you ready?"

"Yeah," she answered. She stepped out of the bathroom, sliding an earring into her ear. She was wearing a white, flowing dress and had her blonde hair tied back in a ribbon, the picture of innocence. I looked down at my hunter green dress and smiled. It was my favorite color.

Alana smiled at Clarey and I. She may have said something like "we're damn sexy", but I was too nervous to focus on her words. That afternoon, I had gone to town to do some shopping. Whenever I ran into other pack members they asked targeted questions about our new Luna. It was clear that they had already judged her. That's when I had decided to give her a makeover. Tomorrow she would be leaving for Alpha Russell's territory, but tonight she would be unforgettable.

By this time we had reached the top of the stairs. We stood silently, not wanting to go down.

"So the three little girls entered the den of wolves," Clarey said nervously.

Alana grabbed her hand, then mine. "No Clarey. We're the wolves."

With that, we started our descent.

Alana's Pov

When we reached the landing of the stairs, we were in full view of the living room. The wolves gathered below stopped talking in the most awkward way possible. I asked myself what I would do in this situation if I was actually an intimidating person. Would I look people in the eyes, stare them down? Or would I look above their heads as if they weren't worth my time? I had no idea, so I did a little bit of both. Then I saw Damien and forgot to look anywhere else.

He was wearing steel-toed boots, jeans and a tight gray shirt. Now that's what an Alpha should look like. The thought entered my mind before I could stop it. He was intimidating as hell and he wasn't even trying. I saw the bored expression on his face and tried to copy it. I let my eyes roll lazily over the glaring she-wolves and suspicious men. That's right bitches, I'm a wolf. When I get angry, your ancestors turn into puppies and piss on the carpet... Sara interrupted my inner pep talk, by offering to introduce me to some of her friends. I nodded excitedly, more than willing to start with the nice wolves and work my way up.

After talking with Sara's friends for a while I was on a natural high. So, when someone put their arm around my waist I contained the impulse to elbow them in the stomach. I tried my best to ignore him, but Sara's friends kept asking him questions.

"So, Damien, I heard a rumor that the fights tonight don't really matter. I heard that you've already chosen the warriors who will be going with you."