Chapter Twenty Eight: For the Love of Adventure

A/N:

Hello everyone, I'm so sorry that's it been forever, longer than forever. I'm sorry. I had awful, horrible, bad-smelling, funny-looking, hat-wearing writer's block. I rewrote this chapter so many time's...but I'm finally hapy with it. Thanks for sticking it out. You guys are the best. And don't worry. I have tons of ideas now so that should keep the writer's block away. Luv ya, HalfAwake.

Damien’s Pov

I sat at the table spinning a bottle cap between my fingers. About an hour ago it had gotten too dark to see anything, but I still sat there, listening. I couldn’t sleep. It had been one day since Jake and Kylie had brought Alpha Brock’s warriors to the pack house. The other warriors still hadn’t arrived. I hated waiting.

Soon, I heard footsteps at the top of the stairs. I listened as she shuffled downstairs and into the kitchen. The fridge door opened flooding the room with light. I turned on my stool and watched her take something out.

“So, Knives,” I said, “What kind of a name is Knives anyway? I mean, who names their kid after a weapon? Oh wait. I remember now. It’s a nickname, isn’t it? Did Alana give you that name…Knives?”

She jumped when I spoke then turned towards me and lifted her chin.

“What’s it to you, Alpha Damien,” she sneered.

I shook my head and stood up.

“You didn’t go after her,” I said.

“What are you talking about?”

“You know what I’m talking about.” Look at her, acting all innocent.

“Whatever.” She turned to leave the kitchen, but I blocked her path.

“First, your Alpha’s daughter is captured by rogues, which wasn’t your fault, of course. Then, you hook up with Alpha Brock’s pack, meet your mate and live there for three years doing whatever the hell it is that a wolf named after a weapon does. Am I right so far, Knives?”

She opened her mouth to speak, but I cut her off.

“See, if anyone ever took Alana away from me, I’d go get her back. And what about Kylie? I mean they were supposed to be your best friends, right? So why didn’t you rescue them? I’m sure Alpha Brock would’ve helped you, if you asked nicely.”

“I didn’t…”

“No, you didn’t,” I interrupted, “Second, there’s what happened last night, remember? We all went inside, but you stayed outside for a few minutes alone. But maybe you weren’t alone, because when you came in you smelled like a rogue. You see where I’m going with this, Knives?”

I waited for an answer, but she just stared at me.

“The third strike against you is smaller. It took me awhile to notice it. It’s that look you get on your face whenever you see me, even now. You look like someone who’s keeping a secret. I don’t have time to deal with traitors. So I’m going to give you one chance. You’re going to leave the house right now. If you’re not a traitor, go find the rogue camp and come back and tell Alana where it is. If you are a traitor, stay with the rogues. We’ll kill you with the rest of them.”

I stepped out of her way and she glared at me one more time before darting out of the kitchen.

“Oh, and Knives…”

She stopped and turned towards me. I held out the butterfly knives that I had stolen from her hours ago when I first started suspecting her. “You’ll need these either way.”

She snatched them from my hands and ran out the door. I watched her through the window until she disappeared into the forest. Then I sat down and started spinning the bottle cap again.

“You sure know how to make friends.” It was Sam. I smiled and nodded.

“Blake won’t be happy about this. She is his mate after all,” Sam said.

I shrugged.

“Blake is Alpha Brock’s second in command.”

I shrugged again. Sam sat down across from me and drank some of my soda.

“You remember when we were kids and we used to go on adventures together,” I asked him, still staring at the bottle cap.

“Yeah, man, I remember.”

I drank some soda.

“Damien, you have to tell me what you’re thinking.”

I slammed my fist down on the bottle cap and looked up at him.

“I’m thinking that I’m tired of waiting.”

Sam smiled. “That’s funny. I was just thinking the same thing.”

Alana’s Pov

And right when the giant ice cream was in reach someone started shaking me roughly. I woke up instantly and attacked them with my pillow.

“WHY” Whack! “DID” Smack! “YOU” Slam! “WAKE” Bam! “ME” Boom! “UP?”

“Alana, stop hitting me.”

“I was so close! The ice cream was right there!” Whack!

“Stop it! It’s me, Jake!” Two more hits. “Alan-Ow!”

Jake grabbed the pillow out of my hands and hit me in the head. I fell over onto my bed and sat up glaring at him. Jake dropped my pillow and sat down next to me.

“Damien’s gone.”

“What?”

“Gone.”

“What?!”

“Alana, he’s gone. He left last night. Here.”

He handed me a folded up piece of paper and stared down at his hands.

Sorry sweetheart,

I can’t wait anymore. I’m going crazy. Sam and I are going to see what we can do about the rogues. Don’t worry. We’ll be careful. Wait for the other warriors to get there. Don’t do anything crazy. If Knives shows up, ask her where the camp is.

-Damien

Also, I love you.

I stared at it in shock but it wouldn’t disappear. Jake looked at me sadly.

“Are you ok?”

“I hate him.”

“What?”

“I. HATE. HIM.”

“Alana, you know that’s not true.”

“Yes it is! He’s an idiot! First, the idiot runs off alone, like the idiot he is, because he’s an idiot.”

“So you think he’s an idiot?” Jake sounded amused.

“Yeah, he’s an idiot.”

Jake laughed a little bit.

“And then…AND THEN, do you know what he did, Jake? Do you?!”

“Something idiotic I bet,” Jake replied.

“Ooooh yeah, big time idiotic. I’m not kidding you Jake. This guy is certifiable,” I said seriously.

“What did he do, Alana?”

“He put those stupid, stupid words at the bottom of his stupid letter, because he’s stupid. He’s stupid and I hate him.”

Jake nodded. “Yeah, I hate him too. We can hate him together.”

“Thanks, Jake,” I said, choking up a bit, “You’re really nice, unlike this idiot.”

“I know,” he said.

And then I cried.