Chapter Four: For the Love of a Creep

Jake's Pov

I couldn't take it anymore! I turned around, faced the kid and screamed, "What?!"

Out of nowhere, Sara walked up and said, "Don't yell at children, Jake. That's not okay." She looked down at the kid, ruffled his hair and left.

Deciding to try a new tactic, I squatted in front of the kid and made my voice high pitched, "Little boy, don't you want to go somewhere else, maybe play hide and seek with the other kids?"

The boy, who had been stalking me for days now, raised an eyebrow, "I'm not five."

I threw out my arms and raised my voice, "Ladies and gentlemen, it speaks!" The boy chuckled, just once, but I heard it. I took that as encouragement. "Ladies and gentlemen, I can guarantee you've never seen anything like this. It speaks. It laughs. It occasionally does both at the same time!"

When he laughed again, I sighed. I had been trying to get rid of my silent shadow since he came here three days ago. He was Alana's little brother and if I remembered right, his name was Jacob.

"Well, if you are going to keep stalking me, I might as well make it educational."

"What do you mean?" he asked. Geez, two sentences in one day, this kid was on a roll.

"My patrol shift starts in twenty minutes. I've got the western border. Want to come with?" He nodded.

Sam's Pov

I was trying to teach Clarey how to fight, but it wasn't going well. She was a die-hard pacifist. What kind of wolf is a pacifist, I asked myself for the millionth time. Mate, my wolf answered proudly. I sighed. My wolf definitely wasn't helping the situation. Every time that I approached her offensively to see how she would defend herself my wolf growled at me and every time she wanted to stop my wolf forced me to cave. Today was no different than the last two days had been.

"So when you have your enemy's arm in that hold you bring it down forcefully over your knee."

"Oh," she said, slyly, "and what is the purpose of that move?"

"To break his arm," I answered casually.

She put her hands on her hips and turned the full power of her large, blue eyes on me. "I told you. I'm not breaking anyone's anything."

"Then how will you fight?" I yelled, frustrated.

Out of nowhere Sara walked up and said, "Don't yell at your mate, Sam. That's not okay." She looked at Clarey, patted her arm and left.

Clarey shrugged. "I'd rather not fight at all, but since you insist on teaching me, you'd better find a way for me to fight without crippling anyone."

"And how am I supposed to do that?"

"I don't know," she said innocently, "But if you can't do it, you must not be a very good fighter."

My wolf growled. She's challenging us.

It's about time you were on my side. I replied.

I'm not. She has a point.

Argh! The woman was driving me crazy.

"Alright, I'll teach you how to fight without hurting anyone." I was aware of how contradictory that phrase was.

"Thanks!" She went up on her tiptoes and gave me a quick kiss. "But first I want to go for a swim."

With that, she walked away, towards the river in the woods. I growled. I swore I would wait to be mated with her until she was 18 and I was 21, but she wasn't making it easy. I watched her walk away still surprised at how small she was...and beautiful, definitely beautiful. Only kissing, that's it, I commanded myself again. Then I followed her.