Chapter Eighteen: For the Love of Zombie Guts

Damien’s Pov

I leaned back in my chair and slammed my fist down on the desk.

“You don’t understand, James. There is a group off rogues threatening my mate. I need backup. We’ve seen their camp. Not only do the rogues have more fighters, they also have nothing to lose. They fight to kill and if they die in the process, that’s just the price they pay. My pack doesn’t stand a chance.”

“My warriors have bigger problems, Damien. Do you honestly think that yours is the only pack in danger? There are rogues everywhere and they seem to be on some kind of campaign for new territory. Most of the packs under the council’s guidance are having the same problems you are. There are even rumors that the rogues want to take down the council. These are troubled times, Damien. I can’t afford to rent out my soldiers to all of the packs that are asking for them.”

I sat in silence, waiting for him to say more. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. The door of my office opened and before I could tell whoever it was to leave, Alana skipped over to the other chair and sat down.

“I’m bored,” she whined. I smiled. She sounded like a kid. She spun in the chair and kicked her legs back and forth. “Whatcha doing?” I held my finger up to my mouth, asking her to stay quiet.

“I understand, James. I will help you in any way I can in the upcoming months. In the meantime, what do you suggest I do about the rogues?”

He sighed into the phone. “In two weeks, instead of the usual council meeting, many Alphas are coming to the Oregon headquarters to discuss these issues. I hope you can make it. In spite of how it may seem now, you’re not in this alone, Damien.”

I nodded even though he couldn’t see me. “Thank you, James. I’ll be there.”

“And bring your new mate. Alpha Russell mentioned how…interesting she is. The rest of the council and I all look forward to meeting her.”

I imagined how those uptight, conservative wolves would react to Alana. “I’m sorry, James. I need Alana to stay here and watch the pack.”

Alana jumped up and raised an eyebrow at me. “Hell no. I’m not staying here and missing out on whatever you’re talking about.”

James laughed. He’d heard her. “Sounds like you’re overruled, Damien. Besides, you and I both know Sam can handle the pack while you’re gone. By the way, I heard that he found his mate as well. Congratulate him for me. And I expect to see you and your mate in two weeks. It’s been great catching up with you.”

He hung up. “Sarcastic son of a bitch,” I grumbled.

“Who is,” Alana asked. I jumped. I hadn’t forgotten that she was in the room. That would be hard to do. But I didn’t realize that she had come around my desk and pressed her ear to the phone. I smiled, something that I seemed to be doing often.

“It’s James. He’s the youngest member of the wolf council. He and I went to the fighting academy together after high school.”

“Whoa. You went to the fighting academy! That’s so awesome! Damien the badass and his sidekick James, battling evil one epic fighting adventure at a time.”

“Yeah, something like that. Those two years at the academy may have been the best and hardest of my life. I thought about sending some of our young wolves to the academy for training, but we’ll need every fighter we’ve got until this rogue thing is taken care of.”

“That’s what the phone call was about, isn’t it?”

“Yes, I was trying to convince James to send some of his warriors here. Most wolves who graduate from the academy choose to work for the council. James has some of the best fighters in the world under his supervision.”