Chapter Nine: For the Love of Food

Damien’s Pov

No, Alana definitely won. Now pay up

I laughed lightly. The fight about who had won was lasting longer than the actual fight. It was already the next morning and we all were running through the forest as wolves. They had been arguing for hours, even after we crossed into Alpha Russell’s territory.

No, Damien didn’t lose. He just postponed the rest of the fight until a more opportune time.

“Postponed”. That was a good one. The truth was we were both exhausted after hours of fighting. While we were wrestling, Alana fell into a tree, hitting her head. It scared the shit out of me. After checking for injuries, I said that we were done for the night. So technically, I surrendered. But hell would freeze over before I’d admit that.  It was only then that we had noticed our audience. They immediately started arguing about who had won and still hadn’t decided.

I ignored them. This is the best part about being a wolf. Running. I sped up just for the hell of it and my pack instinctively followed. Seconds later Alpha Russell’s patrol group sped up as well. Even the argument and joking going on went silent. I don’t know if it was instinctive or not, but Alana came and ran beside me. I turned slightly towards her and she looked away quickly. She had been staring. I laughed, in the weird, barking way that only a wolf can. This is how it’s supposed to be. Too soon, we reached Alpha Russell’s pack house and stopped dead in our tracks.

I could tell that the rogues had Alpha Russell on edge. I could barely see the top of the house behind a giant, wooden wall that looked like it had recently been put up. There were guards circling the outside.

Friendly, Alana commented.

Even with the wall and the guards, I bet he doesn’t sleep at night. Alana tilted her head at me curiously. Would you be able to sleep if murderers had come running through our territory? She shook her head and I grabbed her hand. Let’s go.

Alpha Russell’s Pov

“Honey, please come have some lunch.”

I turned to Cindy, my beautiful mate, then, shook my head sadly. I could see that this was hurting her, but even if I came to lunch I wouldn’t be able to eat, which would only upset her more. I leaned against my desk and held out my arms. She came running into them.

“I’m sorry,” I murmured into her hair.

“It’s okay. I just wish I knew how to help you.”

“I’ll be fine once this is over with,” I told her, sighing.

“But you seem tenser today than usual. What’s going on?”

“Garrett called last night. He is bringing the Alpha and his warriors here. They should be here any minute, actually,” I said glancing at my watch. “I’ve heard how disagreeable this Alpha Damien is and now I have to deal with him, at least until the rogues are gone. It’s a necessary evil, I suppose.”

She rubbed my back lightly. “You’ll handle him just fine. You are older than him after all. So, show this pup who’s boss.” I laughed. “And when you’ve done that, you’ll feel much better. You’ll have another Alpha to split the load with.”

I nodded, thanking the gods again for my mate. She was so calm and sweet, and always knew what to say. Downstairs the doorbell rang interrupting our brief peace.

I held my hand out to Cindy. "Well, let’s go meet the pup."

Walking down the stairs, we could hear Garrett loudly greeting friends that he hadn’t seen in a day. When I could see them, the large group surprised me. I quickly noted which were mine and which were his. Nine wolves were strangers. I searched their faces, paranoid about anyone who came into my house. Garrett saw Cindy and I, so I nodded. He would introduce us.

“Alpha Damien, this is Alpha Russell and our Luna, Cindy.”

The wolf in front had black hair and serious, gray eyes. He nodded respectfully to us and held out a hand.

“It’s good to meet you Alpha Russell, even under these circumstances.”

I shook his hand. He had a steady, firm grip.

Cindy raised an eyebrow at me and spoke through the connection.

 See. He’s not as bad as you thought.

 She always told me that I worried too much. I raised an eyebrow back at her.  

Just because he’s not a pup, doesn’t mean he’ll be easy to deal with. He looks like the angry type.

She rolled her eyes at me. The visitors ignored the silent conversation we were obviously having. It was just part of being a wolf.

“You all must be exhausted. In a few minutes, dinner will be done, but until then you can sit in the living room.” Cindy loved visitors and spoiled them all.

Suddenly a beautiful young woman, with wild black hair threw herself over my mate. I growled lowly, but stopped when I heard what she was saying.

“Oh thank you, you wonderful person! I’ve been dreaming of sitting this whole trip and food, good food. I’m so tired of raw rabbits and Dan’s stupid tofu jerky.” She said “food” like it was sacred. I laughed a bit.

“This is Alana, my mate,” Alpha Damien said, smiling tenderly down at her.

Cindy threw a shocked look in my direction.

“We hadn’t heard that you had found your mate, Alpha Damien.”

“I imagine you haven’t. It’s only been six days now,” he replied.

Suddenly, Cindy became a gushing teenager all over again. “Oh, those first days are the best, aren’t they?”

Alpha Damien and Alana looked at each other and burst out laughing.

“Are you kidding,” Alana said, still laughing, “In the past six days, I’ve been kidnapped, had my gun taken away from me, quoted the Jungle Book for no reason, had my sister stolen from me by Damien’s Beta, been quizzed about some Greek guy who had sex with the moon, fought the queen bitch, insulted Bruce’s manhood and beat Damien in a fight!”

We all stared at her in shock. It was completely silent, until Damien said, “I won that fight.”

Then we started laughing. “Well, sounds like your story wasn’t all kisses and fireworks,” Cindy said happily, “You’ll have to tell it with a few more details during dinner.”