4. There Are Two Four Letter Words That Will Change Your Life...

Chapter 4

There Are Two Four Letter Words That Will Change Your Life...

The next morning, I woke up differently than I did the last time Max and I were out with Ben and Drew.  Well, mostly.  I, for one, wasn’t hung over from getting drunk.  I only had one drink at the club we went to.  Ben and Drew were calling me a…well, it wasn’t very appropriate.  I was just happy I wasn’t hammered.  I couldn’t say the same for those two, though.

But the one thing that was the same as the last time was that I woke up with Max.  I didn’t even remember getting back to his parents house or even getting up to his room.  I must have fallen asleep on the way back and he carried me inside.  I wasn’t in my dress anymore either, but in one of Max’s t-shirts.  I still had on my strapless bra, so he didn’t see that much of me.

Max was laying half on top of me, just like he seemed to be whenever we fell asleep together.  His dark hair was a mess as I looked down at him with his head on my chest.  I lifted my hand and started running my fingers through it.  He stirred just a little, tightening his hold on me.  Taking a deep breath, he lifted his head and looked down at me.

He smiled slightly.  “You know, I missed this,” he said. 

I raised an eyebrow.  “What?  You practically smothering me while I slept?” I asked.

He laughed, rolling his eyes.  “Oh, you know you love it,” he said. 

Max bent forward then and kissed the place on my neck where my pulse was.  I was sure he could feel it under his lips.  In fact, I knew he could by the smile I could feel form on his lips as they pressed against my skin.  

“I missed you,” he murmured against my skin as he trailed kisses up the side of my neck. 

“I know,” I said.  My voice was shaking.  Why did it have to do this to me?  “You’ve been telling me.”

He moved so that he was hovering above me, his lips just a few inches from mine.  All I wanted to do was stay there with him. 

But that’s when I pushed him off of me and onto the bed again.  I jumped up before he could get me and made my way toward the door to his bathroom. 

“Morning breath,” I said, smiling, and shut the door behind me. 

After I quickly brushed my teeth with the toothbrush I found in my travel case – Brielle must have put it in Max’s bathroom – I just stood there, looking at myself in the mirror. 

What was up with me?  Shouldn’t I be ecstatic to be back with Max after all these months?  I mean, of course, I was, but…

There was something different between us. 

No, not in the bad way or anything.  In the good way. 

The very good way. 

A knock at the door made me jump and Max’s voice sounded through the crack.

“Are you okay, love?” he asked, making my heart melt when he called me that little endearment. 

I smiled at myself in the mirror, realizing how foolish I was being for being scared of what was happening to me and Max’s relationship.  I turned around and opened the door to see him smiling down at me.  Putting my arms around his neck, I jumped up and wrapped my legs around his waist. 

“I’m great,” I said. 

“Well, then, shall we go back to where we ended?” he asked.

He didn’t even wait for my answer until he threw me back on the bed and was over me the next moment.