Chapter 25

Amanda was very glad when the Quidditch season started up.

Oliver called a meeting one Thursday. Amanda arrived a little late after having a detention with Professor Flitwick.

She arrived just in time to hear Oliver deliver some of his speech.

"This is our last chance - my last chance - to win the Quidditch Cup. I'll be leaving at the end of the year. I'll never get another shot at it.

"Gryffindor haven't won for seven years now. OK, so we've had the worst luck in the world - injuries - then the tournament getting called off last year...

"But we also know we've go the best - ruddy - team - in - the - school," he said, punching the air with a fist.

"We've got three superb Chasers," he pointed at Angelina, Alicia and Amanda, and Amanda mock bowed.

"We've got two unbeatable Beaters."

"Stop it, Oliver, you're embarrassing us," said Fred and George, pretending to blush. Amanda smacked the back of their heads.

"And we've got a Seeker who has never failed to win us a match!" Oliver rumbled.

"And me." He added, as an afterthought.

"We think you're very good, too, Oliver," George said.

"Cracking Keeper." Fred beamed.

"And an excellent Captain." Amanda added on.

"The point is," Oliver went on, ("He could have thanked us," Amanda mumbled to the twins as they chuckled.) "the Quidditch Cup should have had our name on it these last two years. Ever since Harry joined the team, I've thought the thing was in the bag. But we haven't got it, and this year's the last chance we'll get to finally see our name on the thing..."

Wood spoke so dejectedly that Amanda saw Fred and George becoming sympathetic.

"Oliver, this year's our year," said Fred.

"We'll do it, Oliver!" cried Angelina.

"Definitely," Amanda and Harry said at the same time.

Full of determination, the team started training, three evenings a week.

Amanda and the twins returned to the Common Room with Harry one evening after training, to find the room buzzing excitedly.

"What's happened?" Harry asked Ron and Hermione.

"First Hogsmeade weekend," said Ron, pointing at a notice on the battered old notice board. "End of October. Halloween."

Amanda groaned as she thought of how tired she would be on the day.

"Excellent," she heard Fred say, "I need to visit Zonko's, I'm nearly out of Stink Pellets."

"You're always out of Stink Pellets," Amanda said, grinning, "You, George and I always need a reason to visit Zonko's. That's why we always use their products so quickly."

"And that's why when we get there, the person at the counter asks, 'the usual'?". George grinned.

"And that's why they are happy to see us. We must spend more money in there then we do in all the other places in Hogsmeade - put together." Fred laughed.

Harry threw himself into a chair. Amanda sat next to him and gave him a hug. She was thinking for a second while Ron and Hermione said a few things, before jumping up and exclaiming, "I have an idea!"

The others looked at her expectantly and continued, "We can ask McGonagall if I can sign your permission slip as your older sister, and if that doesn't work, we can get Remus to sign it!"