Chapter 13

The next morning Amanda heard mutterings about Colin Creevey being petrified. She sighed. That little kid was more trouble than it should be worth.

The air around the castle seemed suddenly thick with tension. First-years were walking around in tight groups, as though scared they would be attacked if they ventured forth alone.

Amanda had to try and convince Fred and George that covering themselves with fur or boils was not the right way to try and cheer Ginny up, as she was starting to have nightmares.

Kids were buying strange things to protect themselves, like Neville, who had bought a large, evil-smelling green onion, a pointed purple crystal and a rotting newt tail. Amanda had convinced poor Neville that he didn't need them, and she had returned them to the place he bought them from.

In the second week of December, Minerva came around as usual, collecting names of those who would be staying at school for Christmas. Amanda had immediately signed her name, not willing to go back to Francis just yet.

Harry, Ron, Hermione and Fred and George had signed the list too.

One morning, Amanda received a letter from Francis and Melody, demanding that she return home for the holidays.

She sighed and went to Minerva's office to take her name off the list. She was not looking forward to the holidays.

...

A week later, Amanda and the twins were walking across the Entrance hall when they saw a large knot of people gathered around the notice board, reading a piece of parchment that had just been put up.

"They're starting a Duelling Club!" Fred said excitedly.

...

At eight o'clock that evening, they hurried back to the Great Hall. The long dining tables had vanished, and a golden stage had appeared along one wall, lit by thousands of candles floating overhead.

The ceiling was velvety black once more and most of the school seemed to be packed beneath it, all carrying their wands and looking excited.

"I wonder who will be teaching us?" Lee asked.

"As long as it's not-", Amanda began, but ended in a groan, as Gilderoy Lockhart walked onto the stage. He was wearing robes of deep plum, and accompanied by Severus Snape, which Amanda though was the silver lining.

Lockhart waved an arm for silence and called, "Gather round, gather round! Can everyone see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent! Now, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little Duelling Club, to train you in case you ever need to train yourselves as I myself have done on countless occasions, for full details, see my published works.

"Let me introduce my assistant Professor Snape. He tells me he knows a tiny bit about duelling himself-"

"No duh." Amanda muttered, while Lockhart glared at her.

"-and has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration before we begin. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry - you'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him, never fear!"

"The question is, will Lockhart still be alive?" Amanda muttered. The twins laughed, and Lee gave her a high-five.

Severus's upper lip was curling. Amanda wondered why Lockhart was still smiling, as she knew what was going to happen next.

Lockhart and Severus turned to face each other and bowed; at least, Lockhart did, with much twirling of his hands, whereas Snape jerked his head irritably. Then they raised their wands like swords in front of them.