Chapter 14

Amanda was fed up with people. She had only been awake for several hours, and all people could talk about was her fight with Severus in the Duelling Club the day before.

She had retreated to the library, where several people had been told to leave because they were being too loud when bothering her.

She noticed Harry come in and hide behind some shelves as he looked at a group of Hufflepuffs. She couldn't hear what they were saying, but she could see that Harry was becoming quite upset.

Suddenly, he stormed out, and she rushed after him. She passed Hagrid, but when she saw Harry, she gasped.

He was standing, alone, in a corridor with a petrified Justin Flinch-Fletchey and Nearly Headless Nick. Harry stood up and turned around. The look of misery he gave her made her want to cry.

She went forward to support him, but then Peeves came. Amanda sighed. It always happened to the Potters.

She walked forward to Harry, but not quick enough.

"ATTACK! ATTACK! ANOTHER ATTACK! NO MORTAL OR GHOST IS SAFE! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! ATTACK!" He screamed at the top of his lungs.

Amanda wanted nothing more than to disappear right then, but she walked forward to Harry, just as classroom doors started to open. She quickly hurried to his side and pulled him up.

As she did this, Minerva had fought her way to the front of the crowds and began leading them away. She led the siblings to the Headmaster's office, giving the password to the griffin statue so that they may enter.

She then left them, returning to her class with a grave look. Harry and Amanda looked around the office, before Amanda moved to Fawkes's side and began to stroke his feathers, even though he appeared fragile. It was his Burning Day.

She saw Harry look at the Sorting Hat, then put it on. She almost whined in sympathy. She knew what was happening. He was wondering if he had been put in the correct house. She wondered that from time to time too, even though the Hat had said Gryffindor was chosen for her.

Harry took the hat off and put it back on the shelf. 

"You're wrong." He said.

"You okay, Harry?" Amanda asked him.

He hurried to her side, wrapping his arms around her and burying his head into her shoulder. She wrapped her arms around him, bringing him closer.

"I'm scared, Amanda." His voice was muffled.

"You'll be fine." She reassured him. "I'm here, remember? As long as I am here, you are safe. I will always make sure nothing happens to you." 

As she said this, Fawkes burst into flames, and Harry gasped in horror and surprise.

"Attention seeker." Amanda muttered, but smiled. 

Harry sputtered, staring at Fawkes's ashes with bewilderment. The office door then opened, and Albus invited them in. Harry turned back to the Fawkes, just as he was reborn.

"How?" Harry asked Amanda quietly.

"Fawkes is a Phoenix. When a Phoenix grows old, it bursts into flames and then is reborn from the ashes. That's how they live so long."

Harry nodded, still staring at the bird as Amanda carefully picked him up, carrying him into the office with them. She gently stroked the baby Phoenix as Albus discussed what had happened with Harry.

She remained distracted as Albus dismissed Harry, then sent a Patronus. 

The two sat in silence until Severus entered. Amanda grabbed a chair and sat next to Fawkes, crooning to him, so that Severus could sit down as well. Albus and Severus stared at her in amazement.