forest fire

+Harry
Also I'm not a songwriter 😂

The glint of early morning light through the curtains wakes me up. I stretch, a small yawn turning into a smile as I kiss Zayn's knitted forehead.

His little crease vanishes as he turns over in his sleep. I stroke some soft tufts of jet black hair away from his face. His hairline is sticky with sweat, forehead glistening.

It pains me to see him so troubled and restless, his undereyes dark from lack of sleep. His cheekbones look sharper, his frame thinner as he shifts positions again.

"Zayn," I whisper. His eyelids flutter open, his face flushed.

For a moment he's completely drained of color. It takes a quick kiss to the corner of his mouth for it to wash back over his skin.

"What happened babe?"

He sits up frantically, rubbing his eyes with his knuckles.

"I thought you were gone," he answers hoarsely. "They took you from me and I c-couldn't stop them."

He's choking on words, swallowing down syllables like I usually do. It's normal for me to stutter but when he does my body shudders.

"I'm right here. You held me most of the night."

I ruffle his hair and smile encouragingly.

"Did you feel me in your arms?"

"Yeah," he exhales, relieved. "You're warm and soft and smell like vanilla brown sugar."

I chuckle and he grins back sheepishly.

"So strong and so brave," I tease. "My protector."

He rolls his eyes but cups my jaw, his thumb stroking my chin as his lips graze mine.

"Not as strong as you," he searches my eyes. "Never underestimate yourself."

"I do have one weakness."

He smirks, eyes glimmering.

"And what would that be?"

I giggle, burying my face in the crook of his neck. His fingers dig into my sides and I can't control the laughter.

"Stop! I'm ticklish," I squeak.

Of course he knows that and flashes a devilish grin.

"Zayn please! I can't breathe. I-"

He stops immediately, concern written all over his face.

"I forget how easily you get winded. Sorry," he frowns apologetically.

"Hey, it's okay."

"We're still going bowling and I'm still buying you those boots," he grins. "No arguments."

"Alright," I chuckle. "I think I'm ready for a live performance now. Something smooth with a 70s vibe."

"I'm feeling it. Maybe some Stevie Nicks or David Bowie."

"Or...an original."

He arches his brows in surprise and I get up, treading across the carpet do pick up my guitar.

I strum softly, my eyes closing as the chords come together.

The air in the room is growing heavy
Things between us
Getting heady

Truth falling from your lips
Spilling like kerosene
Dim lamp light
When we needed a forest fire

And I wasn't ready
Words dripping like sweet honey
Why couldn't you tell me then
That you didn't want me
No, you didn't want me

All my crying is lost
Never saw the warning signs
Thought we were meant to be together

Truth falling from your lips
Spilling like kerosene
Dim lamp light

You've created a forest fire
Oh, you've created a forest fire
Poured gasoline on my heart

We needed a forest fire

It's coming together, slowly but surely.

"Sounds beautiful," he praises. "I love listening to your voice."

"Thank you," I mutter. "It would be nice to see Ed and the lads."

"When did you write that?"

I shrug, picking at the strings. "It isn't very good but I just recently got into writing original stuff. I uh...even have a rhyme book," I blush furiously. "Sometimes I'll just write down certain emotions or themes I want to explore. It always ends up kind of sad."

He frowns, his hand slipping around my waist.

"Why so sad, huh? Why the pouty face?"

His knuckles graze my jaw and I smile as our lips connect.

My moan hits the back of his throat as he pulls me down, his fingers tugging at my hair.

"Would you ever write a song about me," he pants just beneath my earlobe, his teeth gently nibbling.

"Fuck," I exhale as his hands slip up under the thin cotton material of my shirt.

"I'll take that as a yes."

I feel my eyes roll to the back of my head and he scoops me up, throwing me over his shoulder.

"Stop," I giggle. "Zayn put me down!"

"We're going on an adventure Harry!"

Great. What could he possibly have planned?

"What are we," I grumble. "Nine year olds going to the park."

"Would you ever agree to a picnic?"

He sets me down gently and I scratch the back of my neck, considering it.

"I dunno. Maybe."

"I'll keep that in mind," he smirks. "But for now we're going bowling. We can order steak fries and cheeseburgers and I can whoop your ass in the lane."

"Sure," I chuckle lightly. "I'd love to see you try."

He looks me straight in the eyes, demeanor dead serious.

"Trust me sweetheart, I'll give it my all."

A deep shiver runs down my spine. He tugs on his leather jacket and a pair of well worn boots.

"It's chilly and we're doing something later tonight so wear layers."

I decide on a plain white shirt and pull on Zayn's oversized maroon hoodie

"Oh stop," he coos. "You're too adorable."

"Do you know what isn't adorable?"

"What's that babe?"

He locks the door and we step out, his hand slipping into mine as we walk towards his car.

"Bowling shoes."

A small bubbly laugh is released as he starts the ignition.

That's how my heart feels. Ignited. Like sparks are flying and it keeps expanding, thudding heavily in my chest.

"You nervous love?"

He places a hand on my bobbing knee and I shake my head silently.

"Something bothering you? Talk to me Harry. Not only am I a counselor, I'm your boyfriend. You can trust me, okay?"

Zayn parks it, refusing to unlock the door until I confess.

"There's just a lot on my mind and I can't think straight. You're very distracting."

"That's a good thing, right?"

I blink, unable to form words and he leans across the console to kiss me, hands in my hair.

"Wow," I gasp. "I think you just answered your question."

A/N: they're finally going bowling