shattered screens

+Zayn

It's strange seeing Harry back on the couch, a smile sprawled across his face.

"I told you not to bring me lunch."

"Right," he grins cheekily. "I just didn't listen. I have to get back to work soon, I'll see you later."

He kisses my forehead and I sigh and bite into another samosa.

"I want a burrito bowl next time," I joke.

"Done deal," he laughs. "Can't wait to beat you at bowling."

He sends a wink and is gone is a flash.

A few more clients and I'm free. It really isn't a taxing job. I enjoy helping people improve their speech, listen to them spill a few personal problems.

But I've grown so used to Harry's smile and the taste of his lips.

He has a surprise planned. Maybe a drive-in movie or stroll through the park.

Harry is unpredictable. It makes me giddy with excitement and I can't focus on my paperwork for a new potential client.

I get a call from an unfamiliar call but something compels me to pick up.

"Hello?"

"Hey Zayn it's Josh from the music store. Harry was supposed to return to his shift twenty minutes ago. Is he still with you?"

"No, that's really strange. He would never show up late to work. Have you checked the storage room?"

"Listen mate, I don't want to freak you out but I've looked everywhere. I rang him a couple times. Should I...call the cops?"

This is wrong. So wrong. I rub at my temples and take a deep breath.

Be calm. Think logically.

"Maybe I should try calling him. If he doesn't pick up I'll take care of it."

It goes straight to voicemail and my body is rigid.

The room suddenly feels so cold.

He was just here. How could he disappear?

Calling the police feels like a last resort but I figure I don't have any other choice, my fingers tapping nervously at my desk.

Running a missing person's report. It feels surreal and I shiver.

Was that the last time I'll ever see him? What if-

I shake the thought away. That's absurd. Harry is just fine.

We're going to share a root beer float and kiss until we're dizzy.

I'm startled as my phone rings and pray it's Harry.

The music store again.

"Any news?"

"Fuck," I pull at my hair. "I was hoping you'd have good news. I called the police. I have no idea where he'd go. Should I go home just in case?"

"I would just to be sure. If something is wrong the police will get to the bottom of it. I promise."

I shake the cobwebs from the corners of my mind and fumble to get the keys in the jignition.

It feels like a sick game.

Stepping on the pedal, running a red light and slamming on the brakes.

My place is dark, I call out his name anyway but I'm met with eerie silence.