Chp 1

Tired and lonely. That's exactly how I've been feeling in my marriage. My husband Richard didn't come home last night...again. What really irritates me is I found a pair of gold hoop earrings on the bathroom counter yesterday morning.

-flashback to yesterday morning-
I woke up at around 6am because I really had to pee. I walk into the bathroom and pee, then wash my hands. Then I brush my teeth. As I'm swishing mouthwash, I notice a pair of gold hoop earrings on the end of the counter. I don't wear hoops. Not mine. So we have a problem. I walk back into the room and oh! Perfect timing! His alarm is going off because it's time for him to get ready for work. I stand at his side of the bed and just stare at him until he fully wakes up.

Richard: "Mornin baby. What's wrong wit you?"

I glare at him.

Me: "Care to explain how these were just chillin on the bathroom counter?"

I show him the earrings that were hiding behind my back. Now he has a dumb ass look on his face.

Richard: ".....Those are yours baby..."

Me: "Yeah? How are they mine when I don't wear hoops or big earrings period?"

He thinks for a minute.

Richard: "Lemme see them?"

He gets out of the bed and grabs them from my hand and looks at them.

Richard: "O-ohhhh. These? I bought them for you. I meant to give them to you last night when you got home..."

Me: "Richard...we've been together for 5 years and married for 2...have you ever seen me wear hoop earrings? Hm?"

There goes that stupid ass face when he's thinking again.

Richard: "Y-yeah..but I figured you wouldn't mind trying something new..."

I raise an eyebrow.

Me: "Hm...I guess you want me to dye my hair blonde too? Because there was a blond hair stuck in one of the earrings...care to explain that?"

He just stares for a minute and then scoffs and walks past me and into the walk in closet.

Richard: "That's your problem, you ask to many questions!"

Me: "Oh okay. Well your problem is you think I'm stupid."

I start to think...maybe I am stupid. Stupid for trusting and marrying this man. This isn't the first time he cheated. But he told me he would never do it again. Yeah...maybe I'm stupid.

He ignores me and goes into the shower. He finishes and comes into the bedroom and changes into his work clothes. He fixes his tie in the mirror. He walks up to me and bends down to talk in my ear.

Richard: "Know your place, woman. Start opening your mouth less and just do what you do best..look pretty. Don't wait up tonight...I'll be working overtime. You're cuter when you're quiet. Take notes."

He kisses my cheek and then leaves. I am so pissed off and hurt that I just cry. It's like I don't even know him anymore.
-end of flashback-

The past few months all we've done is fight. One time it got so bad that he came home drunk and put his hands on me told me I was worthless. I cried that whole night and started cutting myself. Every time I look at my wrist, I'm reminded of what he did to me...what he said to me...and how worthless I actually felt.

I get out of bed and stretch. I look at the scars on my wrist. I don't want to see them anymore. I'm tired of being weak. I'm tired of allowing him to  control my mood and happiness. I want to leave him...but at the same time, I'm not gonna lie..I'm scared to leave. I don't have anyone here. I moved here and left everything for him. One thing I know I'm ready for is to cover these scars on my left wrist....a tattoo.