Chapter 14 - Have Faith In Me

“I’ve got Carly. If you want her back, you will do as I say. I do not want you to go to her uncle. You will follow my directions. Do you understand?”

“Where is Carly? Who is this?”

“You’ll find out in due time. Now, do you understand?”

“Yes! Dammit tell me where she is!”

I heard screaming in the background. All I could think of was Carly. She must be so terrified right now. “I want you to go to the graveyard on Thompson Street. Allie Hardee, find that grave. The flowers will have your next step. You have thirty minutes to get to the next destination or she dies.” He hung up then. Carly’s screams got louder.

Zack must have heard something in my voice because he was now looking at me worried. “What’s wrong? Where’s Carly?”

I shook my head and stood. “Call Mark and get Lewis’ number. Tell him someone has Carly. I’m going out to catch that son of a bitch.”

“Alex wait-“

I ran out the door with Zack’s keys in my hand. I drove all the way to my house and picked up my gun and sped all the way to the first destination. I still had twenty-three minutes to find the grave and get to the next destination. Either the cops were out catching other guys, or I just got lucky because I broke all the laws for speeding.

After fifteen minutes of searching, I finally found the grave. For it to be a relatively small graveyard, this headstone was hard to find. I picked up the flowers and looked for something. A note card fell out and landed gracefully on the ground. I quickly picked it up as my phone rang.

“I see you found it.”

“Where are you?” I spun around in a circle and saw no one. He wasn’t here. I looked at the card. “This place holds all knowledge. It rests at the end of the lane. Rows and rows will lead you close.”

“What does it mean?” I asked him impatiently.

“It’s a riddle,” it laughed mockingly. “Figure it out. Times ticking, seven minutes left.”

I closed my phone and thought. All the knowledge. The brain? A computer? A library? A library! The public library on Washington Drive! It was at the end of the street! I threw the flowers down and booked it to the library with two minutes to spare. I ran inside and all the way to the last row of books. On the fifth shelf, a book lay open.

I grabbed it and examined the words underlined. “It was a cold and dark place. The ceiling leaked with water whiles the ground muddy.” I looked at the title of the book. My cell rang again.

“You’ve made it,” he mocked again.

“Yes, now what does this mean? Is it the title that’s important or the words underlined?”

“Ah-ah-ah, I cannot tell you. You have forty-five minutes to get to the next place where the last clue will be. If you do not make it, Carly will be dead. I will repeat myself once again. I do not want the FBI involved. If I find out they are, I will kill her.”