Chapter 11 Part 1 - Call Me Hopeless, But Not Romantic

When the sun shone through the curtains, I opened my eyes. Zack looked at me amused. I closed them again and pulled the covers over my head. I snuggled into the warmth. What happened last night was flashing in my mind. I shot up like a firecracker. Zack looked worried.

“What’s wrong love?”

“Oh my god! Zack, I’m such a horrible person!” I threw my arms around his neck. His came around me and squeezed. I breathed in his scent and climbed onto his lap. I laid my head on his shoulder.

“No you aren’t. You are a terrific person, don’t you ever think differently, okay?” I nodded.

“How could you ever forgive me?”

“You’ve said bad things to me before. I’ve forgiven you, haven’t I?”

I nodded and sighed. I still thought I was a horrible person. Who would say that to someone they loved? I didn’t know what came over me. I was a horrible person. When my parents died, I felt alone. I wasn’t alone now. I had Zack, Mark and even Carly. I should be grateful.

“Zack, I’ve told you this before, and I’m telling you again. You are truly amazing. Please don’t go.” I whispered the last part and buried my face in his neck.

“Oh honey…” He rubbed my back and kissed my forehead. “Do you want to talk about it?”

I shook my head. “No, I’m pretty much over it. Mark was there for me.”

“Do you want to do something today? I have a meeting in an hour but after that I’m all yours.”

“I was thinking about calling Carly and asking if she wanted to go to the beach.”

“Okay, I need to go back to my place and get a shower and change. Do you want to come with me?”

I nodded and stepped onto the floor. “Yeah, let me change.” He kissed my forehead and left. I hugged myself briefly and grinned. I got out a tie-dye bikini Mark had bought as a joke and an oversized t-shirt and jean shorts. I walked into the bathroom and threw my hair into a bun and fixed my bangs. I grabbed everything I would need and headed downstairs.

“Alexandra.”

I stopped walking and turned. Zack stood there with a picture in his hands. “Yes Zack?” I examined the photo. It was a couple years ago, Mark and I were at a concert together, when I actually went out and had fun. My hair was darker then and longer. It reached about to my mid-back and I looked a lot younger.

“Care to explain why your hair is dark?”

“Because I dyed it…?”

“Why?” He prompted.

“They thought it would be good for the case.”

“Oh,” he simply stated and put the photo back on the wall. I raised my eyebrows and shook my head. He turned back to me. “Are you ready?” I nodded. “Okay, let’s go. You can keep Max company while I get ready.”

“Okay, I missed my baby!” I smiled and got my keys. “I’ll follow you there, okay?” He kissed my lips and pulled out before me. Mark called me as soon as we got to a red light.

“Hey Mark!”

“Don’t you sound chipper this morning?”

I giggled, “Yeah Mark I do. Did something happen?”

“No, nothing at all. I was just going to call you and tell you about my date.”

I shook my head. “Okay Mark, tell me. I know you’re dying to let it out.”