Chapter 6 - I Swear This Time I Mean It

After Carly and I finished helping Mark set up his classroom, we headed to second period. Since it was Friday, Mark wouldn’t start teaching until Monday. Carly and I have him sixth period, right after lunch. Morrison’s class is fourth, so we would go to lunch then Mark’s.

“You two should date.” Carly admitted as we walked down the hall to class.

“Mark and I?”

She nodded. “Yeah, you two would be cute.”

I gave her a look. “Carly, he’s like a dad. No way.” I made and face and walked into history.

“Well, I’m just saying…”

“I know you are. I’ve heard it before. You aren’t the first one to say it.”

“Wow,” she laughed and sat next to me. “I hate this class,” she whispered.

I laughed. “Ha, really?”

“Yeah, I’m horrible at history.”

I smiled. “I’m pretty good at it. I’ll help you if you need it.” Carly was growing on me. She wasn’t as ditzy and blonde, but she still wasn’t smart. It was funny some of the things she says though.

The teacher walked in, a middle aged man with glasses and a buzz cut. He silenced the classroom with just one look. “Class, take out your homework!” I put mine on my desk and listened to him lecture about the importance of doing it.

School was actually getting better. I was finally getting the idea of it. No one dared to approach me. I guess the talk about my temper scared them. Carly had one or two friends, but other than that, Ian was the only one she regularly talked too. A short list of suspects was piling up.

Second and third period Literature passed and before I knew it, it was fourth period. Morrison’s class, who again wasn’t present when we walked in.

“Is he never in here when class starts?”

Carly looked back and smiled. “Na, he usually is.” Today her hair was natural, a mass of brown curls. She wore a school hoodie and jeans. I’m sure she was the only one that could pull that look off. We sat at the same table we did yesterday. I watched the entrance. Kids I recognized form yesterday walked in and only one stood out.

A boy about 5’7 walked in with a plaid shirt on and dark jeans. His long, brown hair was curly and he had brown eyes. All in all, he was cute. And right now, my only suspect. Jeffery. Carly was popping her gum and looking around. I sat back and waited for the teacher. Students got up and went to other friends and talked while Carly and I stayed seated. After five minutes of waiting, the door opened and Morrison walked in…with Mark.

“Class, quiet down!” Morrison looked around and paused at me for what seemed like forever before he continued his scan. “Some of you have heard, but this is our new tech teacher, Mr. O’Malley.”

Mark smiled pleasantly. “Ello,” he waved. A couple of girls giggled at his accent while I rolled my eyes.

“His class is next door,” Morrison smirked at me. I laughed; of course he would do that. A couple of people looked at me, including Jeffery. He raised a brow. I smiled as I looked at him. He smiled back at me before turning back to the front. “He’s also Alexandra’s father.”

Now all heard turned and looked at me. I shot Morrison a glare but my cheeks reddened. Mark spoke up. “Today, you will be taking a test to see where you are. Seniors have taken this test all day.”

Groans erupted and Mark and Morrison smirked. “Don’t worry; you will either know this stuff or wont. If you need help in certain areas, you will be required to take that class again to get enough credits to graduate.”