Chapter Sixty Three: Heart of Darkness

Start from the beginning

"But I'm not even going."

"About that..."

"What?"

"I want you to be my date." Rebekah says. Trinity goes to speak but she stops the girl. "I know that you need time and I'm not pressuring you. This is just a dance between friends. Friends who have feelings for each other and choose not to act on them, but friends nonetheless."

Trinity looks at her. "Okay." She says. "I'll go with you."

Rebekah smiles at the girl.

Caroline walks into the cafeteria and looks around, seeing people decorating. She sees Matt and walks over to him. "What is this?"

"It's the decade dance. Remember, you made us sign up to help?" He says.

"No." She picks up a boa. "This. The 20s. We're doing the 70s."

Rebekah directs the students around her. "Too flashy, people. It's supposed to be speakeasy, not the World Fair." She sees Caroline and walks over. "Ah, good, you're here. I need help setting up the tables so, get to it."

"What do you think you're doing?" Caroline asks.

"Somebody has to be in charge."

"Yeah, me. I'm the chair of the Dance Committee. The theme of the decade dance is the 1970s."

"So, you'd rather dress in tacky colors with bad hair than be a classic flapper from the jazz age? Honestly, I don't know what my brother sees in you."

"Maybe he sees a challenge. See, unlike some other people, I don't sleep with everyone I make eye contact with."

Trinity walks over. "Let's all calm down."

"Maybe we can do both decades?" Matt asks.

"No." Rebekah and Caroline answer.

Rebekah looks at Matt. "Go on, Matt, don't be a coward. You know you loved my 20s idea when I presented it to the group."

Caroline looks at the boy. "Traitor!"

"Bell bottoms and disco? I don't know, this just seemed cooler." He shrugs.

Rebekah shoots a smug smile at Caroline. "See? It's just cooler."

Caroline scoffs. "Whatever. Have fun at your stupid dance." She walks away. She's almost to her car when she hears Matt calling her.

"Caroline! Wait!"

She turns around and smiles at him. "Impressive. You sold it."

"And you bought yourself a day."

"Thank you. Just keep her occupied. Be careful!"

"You too. I think she's more interested in Trinity though. She can't keep her eyes off her. It's like she's waiting for something to happen."

Caroline's brow furrows in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"I don't know. She just gets this worried look sometimes." He shrugs. "It's probably nothing. Just uh, tell him I said hi. Okay?"

Caroline nods and gets into her car.

Stefan talks to Trinity on the phone. "So how are you doing?" He asks.

"Fine. Just watching Rebekah work everyone like a slave driver. How are you? Is everything going okay?" She says.

"It's fine." He sighs. "I just have to get Alaric to tell me where the last stake is."

"How's he doing? Did he have a crazy episode yet?"

"No. He's just been reading. I'll check on him later."