Chapter 53 : Trick or Treat?

Aaron Reynolds's Pov

I communicated with some of my business associates while Amanda was away. Social parties were really not my cup of tea. When I spotted Alistair in the crowd, I realized that he was coming towards me. He excused me from my group of associates, so I spaced myself out, in order to have a talk with him. He questioned me things, things about his father. He then inquired regarding some woman his dad accompanied in the party. I answered him with every detail I had, but his expression showed that he wasn't satisfied with my answers.

He trailed off from that place, so I rejoined my little unofficial meeting with my delegates. Alistair has always been a complicated man, and now I feel that he was taking complication to another level. His life, till what extent I knew, was filled with lies. It was either trick or treat.

I distanced myself from my associates when I observed Gina and Francis talking with each other. Amanda spaced herself away from me, with an excuse that she was going to join them. If she wasn't with them, then where was she? I sprinted in their direction, as I already doubted Amanda's condition. I could make that out through her expressions.

"Where's Amanda?" I questioned looking at them.

"Didn't meet her ever since she cut the cake, what's the problem?" Gina inquired. So Amanda lied, she lied to me on my face even when things were all sorted and crystal clear between us. Something was definitely wrong.

I examined the crowd, precisely the ladies which wore black. None from them was Amanda. "The problem is.... that maybe she is in some sort of problem. She's hiding something I'm unaware of. Does anyone from you have any clue about what she's been up to?" I clenched my fist. I tried to plaster the anger on my face, with a fake smile, but I failed. I couldn't, even when I wanted to.

Gina glanced at Francis, and then towards me. "I have no clue about what you're talking about"

"I jokingly scared her when I followed her, in order to escort her. But, she wasn't surprised, and she didn't smile like old times. She was scared, like she didn't expect me but someone more dangerous. I thought that maybe it was because she was scared slash shy, but now it all makes sense", Francis interpreted the story.

"James", we all said in unison.

"Oh no, I should've never left her alone", Francis interrupted the silence.

"We, we should have given her attention. Oh no", Gina's concern could be seen on her face.

"I'll make sure that she's safe and sound. I promise, don't worry", I tried consoling her. Deep within, I was scared myself, scared of losing her. When I confessed my love, in front of everyone, I intended to say that to her again, not once, but a lot many times. I loved her and I wanted her. I wanted to hold her hand, to kiss her, to hug her. I had no idea what she was facing at the moment. If the night consisted of a shooting star, I'd wish for her safety in place of mine. The negative thoughts were breaking me from within, and were ceasing my brain's capacity to think.

Back then, I believed that when a person has wealth he has everything, but even with everything, it felt like nothing. She was my treasure. I should've never let her go off me after the projector mishap. It was my fault. I could've protected her,and if anything happened to her, I won't be able to let go off the guilt.

Suddenly, the lights blacked out. The hall was concealed with darkness. I turned my torch on and tried calling the security so as to check over the light generators. The huge screen of the projector got turned on automatically, and threw a little light around that surrouding place. If there was a power cut then how was the projector yet working? This was a trick, one of the dirty tricks of James again.