Chapter 8

Vivienne returned later that night, and Aiden was up to greet her. Trent was still awake, but he was unable to get away from Stacie laying on top of him. Maddy and Jordan were asleep, and weren't concerned with talking to Vivienne at all. She walked away from the confession room in a daze, and Aiden stepped out to meet with her. Her attention was far from his presence, and he debated whether or not to confront her. Aiden met Vivienne inside the seating circle and both took a spot among the cushions.

      "I was a weak person," she said, without looking at Aiden. "And a fraud...I was a counselor...I knew Stacie, and Maddy...I was a fraud though...I told all of my patients what they needed to do, all while I was slowly killing myself...I'm addicted to alcohol, and I love cocaine...This explains why I've been shaking every morning when I wake up. I've been in pain...I'm pretty sure I have schizophrenia, and I thought I had hiding it down to a science. That was all crumbling...I tried to kill myself...Before my world fell apart, I wanted to end it...And I was unsuccessful...They got me out of a hospital too...I volunteered...I'm glad I got my memories back...I wouldn't have wanted to do this all over again. I can't just walk away from who I am. My decline would have returned. My brain is deteriorating. There's no turning away from that."

      "You counseled Stacie after her attack," asked Aiden.

      "Yeah, that was me. I know all about what she's been through. I got to talk to her about volunteering. She was a mess...She's so much better now. She's so happy."

      "But what are we going to do about Trent. Don't you think it's messed up?"

      "Why is it messed up? She's happy. Let her be..." Vivienne stopped her thought to put the pieces together. "You know him don't you? You arrested him?"

      "You don't know who he is," Aiden asked when he realized he had made a mistake.

      "He's the one," Vivienne asked, looking Aiden deep into his eyes.

      Aiden couldn't answer, and definitely couldn't look Vivienne in the eyes. Ashamed, Aiden looked away and stared at the floor. He wasn't sure what to do now. Gripping the cushion of the couch, he squeezed as hard as he could to silently let out his anger.

      "Why wouldn't you say anything?"

      "It's not what you think."

      "Oh my God...She's fallen in love with the man that raped her, and beat her...It sure is him. I remember him from court. He's grown his hair out, but that is him."

     "He was never convicted. The court didn't find him guilty."

     "You know better than that Aiden...I can see it in your eyes"

      "But she's happy. She can be happy. She doesn't have to know."

      "Are you for real? He knows. That sick bastard, he knows...Has he no shame?"

      "What good is going to do her, if we tell her? Then she's stuck in here with him, and the tension will build. There's no way out...Let her be happy. It's not hurting anyone."

      "You think he's not going to hurt her again? He got away with it once. He enjoys it. He'll do it again...And how 'bout the fact that it isn't right, Aiden. We can't allow this. Maybe we don't have to tell her, but we need to have a talk with him, and tell him to stop."

      "I just think if it isn't broke, don't fix it."

      "What's with you? What's your secret? Does he know? Is that what this is? I can't do this right now. I'm trying to deal with my own problems."