Chapter 7

Half of the group had changed since the beginning of the project. Only three of them didn't know the person that they were. The change built tension and paranoia in the room. In the beginning there was at least a small want to get to know each other, but as time went on, everyone grew more distant, except Stacie and Trent. Stacie followed Trent around the room at all times. They did everything together. Aiden and Jordan took turns using the outside area for exercise. Vivienne spent most of her time in her room, and didn't interact with anyone. From time to time, the other members would catch Vivienne staring at them from across the room, and it was putting them on edge. No one was quite sure what to think of Vivienne.

    Maddy left the night before, and no one witnessed her return. Stacie checked Maddy's room in the morning and found her sleeping in her bed. She didn't wake up until the afternoon. In her robe, Maddy stumbled out into the main room while everyone else was going through their routine. Maddy's skin was pale, and her hands were shaking as she stood outside of her door. She inspected the area around her with a confused look on her face. As soon as Stacie saw Maddy, she ran to her side.

    "You're OK," Stacie told her. "It's OK...You've lost your memory...I have to...I can explain. When you're ready."

"Where am I," Maddy asked. "What's going on?"

    "This is an experiment. You volunteered...You've been through some trauma, and had your memories taken. My name is Stacie, and we were friends...I had the same thing done to me...We're stuck in here until they let us go."

    "Until who lets us go?"

    "I don't know the answer to that question either. We've all been alone in here, waiting to get out...We're not sure when that is...Come over here. Have a seat."

    Stacie led Maddy over to the couch and they both sat down. Maddy's return grabbed everybody's attention, but they didn't approach her. Everyone else just stood where they were, watching Stacie help Maddy transition. Maddy used the silence of the room to help her think about what was going on. The process was a success, and Maddy was relieved of the memories that once haunted her. She had forgotten all about her encounters in the room, prior to this day. Her roommates were all new to her. Aiden was happy to know that she didn't remember what he did to her, and felt less guilty about what had been done.

    Stacie took her time with Maddy on the couch, trying her best to answer all the questions that Maddy had. Trent used the time alone to get some undisturbed sleep. Vivienne remained in her room, watching Stacie and Maddy from her bed, through her cracked open bedroom door. Aiden saw an opportunity to implement his plan, and walked outside to catch Jordan as he was finishing up his run on the treadmill.

    "I knew you outside of here," Aiden told Jordan. "Well, I didn't know you, but I knew about you."

    "What did you just say?"

    "I know a little about you."

    "What are you talking about?"

    "I know what you would want to forget. I know why you wouldn't want your memories."

    "What do you know about me?"

    "I know that you lost a loved one....Someone very close...I know that it broke you, and changed the man that you were happy being. After the loss, you were never the same."

    "Who'd I lose?"

    "A child...You lost a child."

    "How do you know this? Who are you?"