Chapter 11

Deceit was slowly being uncovered, and it created a powerful divide within the group. Those that once where an alliance, were turning into strangers, as others that were strangers, were becoming all that the other had. Stacie and Vivienne had closed themselves off. Jordan gave into Maddy, and allowed her to keep him company. She was also helping him understand what all the yelling at the dinner table was about. Trent and Aiden were becoming ostracized. Accepting the fact that he might lose Stacie, Trent focused on the only person he had left. Aiden now became the only person Trent could turn to. Aiden was sickened by the fact that Trent was his only alliance.

      Most of the guilt that Aiden carried around with him was due to the secret that Trent helped him keep. A bad decision, driven by anger, put Aiden at the mercy of Trent, when they were a part of the outside world. Aiden always felt like he made a deal with the devil by allowing Trent to help cover up his mistake. Feeling that the experiment was a curse, Aiden thought about the reason he volunteered to be a part of the project that he now couldn't escape. It was the opportunity to right a wrong.

      Trent was always thankful for the day Aiden killed Jordan's son. His world was crashing down around him, and the gunshot that dropped the young man became a ray of hope against the darkness. Aiden's need for an agreeing witness, allowed Trent an escape from the odds that were stacking up against him. After court, Trent thought that he'd never have to see Aiden again, but here they were, in need of each other once again. Trent stepped outside, and joined Aiden in the backyard. It was time for them to have a familiar talk.

      "I know that you like to act like you don't like me," said Trent, "but we need to stick together right now. If they decide to tell Jordan, we can protect each other. I'm pretty sure we can hold him off."

      Aiden was irritated that he was having to participate in a conversation with Trent. He certainly didn't like the fact that he needed Trent's help, again. Every day he watched Trent with Stacie, and it disgusted him. It disgusted him that Trent wasn't in jail. Aiden hated himself because it was his own need that allowed Trent the freedom to be a part of the experiment. It was almost fitting that they were now locked up together.

      "Do you think when he finds out, that he'll become violent," Aiden asked.

      "He is pretty emotional. I could see some rage coming out."

      "Do you ever regret helping me lie?"

      "Hell no. What was my alternative? You saved me. You gave me a chance to make things right with Stacie."

      "You think you're making things right?"

      "I've been given the chance to love her. I've been apologizing, in my head, or when she's asleep, but I say it. I'm trying to atone for my sins. I've been shown the error of my ways. With some effort, she would have loved me. I didn't have the confidence within myself. It's was a major lack in my life. This experiment has really helped me grow as a person. I'm better now. I don't want Vivienne to take that from me. I want Stacie to stay the way she is, and I'm afraid it's too late."

      "It's good to know that you've seen the error of your way, but do you really feel that you've paid the price for what you've done? Just because she's forgotten about it, doesn't make it right."

      "You're no saint either."

      "I'm not saying I am...That's what I'm going back and forth about...This experiment...If we have the memories taken away, are we absconded from our sins?"

      "Yes, I think that's what we've been given here; another chance."

      "I don't agree...I'm maybe thinking, I'm here to right a wrong. To bring a man peace."