Chapter 13

Stacie's turmoil was a welcomed distraction for Jordan. The anger inside him had him seeing red, and he wanted to think about anything but Aiden's secret. His energy fed the tension in the room, making it form a thick cloud over everyone. With the door closed behind Stacie, Jordan had no choice but to bring his attention back to the conversation that got him on his feet. It was going to be on Jordan to initiate any conversation at this point. No one else wanted to speak. Over and over again, Jordan replayed the scenario that Vivienne presented. He thought about how Aiden and Trent covered up Aiden's hateful actions. Trent disgusted Jordan, and Aiden infuriated him. Looking over at Aiden made Jordan's blood boil. A hot flash washed over his body. There was a burning deep in Jordan's gut. His teeth gnashed together making his jaws sore. The more he thought about his son's death, the tenser his muscles became. Standing in front of Jordan was the enemy. All of the pain that had recently returned, was due to the actions of the man breathing the same air as him. It was his son; it was his blood. Jordan felt guilty for giving up on his son, and not putting up a fight. The guilt put the taste of bile in the back of his throat. He wanted to overcome that guilt; he wanted to fight.

      Aiden could feel Jordan's eyes piercing a hole through him. The atmosphere became awkward for Aiden. He had never felt more out of place than he did in that moment. Having the truth out in the open didn't make Aiden feel any better about the situation. His plan to get out ahead of Vivienne had backfired. The scenario that they feared was now upon them, and there was no escape. Aiden was on edge, and made sure his feet were planted to prepare for an attack. Aiden also balled his hands into fist, but he didn't want to go after Jordan. His anger was directed at Vivienne, and her need to get everything out in the open. Knowing that there wasn't an escape, Aiden felt that putting all of the information out there, in the way that she did, was malicious. He felt that she was mad and lashing out at those around her by putting them through more pain. There was a strong debate in his head about what was legal, and what he could get away with inside the room.

      Vivienne worried about Stacie retrieving her memories. She knew that the young woman wasn't in a good place the last time they had spoken in the outside world. Her fragile state of mind concerned Vivienne, and she hoped that this experiment hadn't made things worse. Having the truth out in the open made Vivienne happy. Aiden's actions scared her, and she was happy to take the mask off of who he was trying to convey himself as. Taking the power away from Trent and Aiden made her feel more comfortable. As the power shifted in her favor, it came at a price. The mood was saturated with gloom as everyone's true nature was discovered. Exposing the truth washed away all the happiness they had fantasized themselves having.

      Maddy sat back and watched in amazement. She was enjoying the bliss of her ignorance, especially when she saw how it was ruining the spirit of the room. Being in a room full of angry people, without her memories, frightened her. Watching their body language, Maddy could tell that they were all on edge. Her compassion for Jordan kept her in the room, to be there for him, but she was uncomfortable, and wanted to step outside to be by herself. Vivienne had gained some trust from Maddy since she knew of her past, and seemed to be helpful. Maddy's past with Vivienne wasn't enough to keep Maddy by her side. It was Maddy's curiosity that kept her feet planted.

      Trent's heart was broken when the veil was lifted off of his fantasy. The void left behind, by the hope being ripped from him, had edges that stung like an infected wound. His head throbbed from the pressure of blood pushing through his swollen brain. An ache within his skull, linked with the build-up of tears in his eyes, blurred his vision. Regret was like a hermit crab, using his throat as a shell, making it hard for him to swallow past the lump. He wanted to retreat, and hide under his covers, as his love drifted away, but his roommates weren't going to let him depart that easy.