Chapter 15

The built up tension in the main room made seclusion a comfort. No one could stand to be in the company of the other residents, except for Maddy. Most of the group was counting down the minutes until the confession room door would unlock. They all needed answers, and couldn't handle waiting to get them. Their hunger for knowledge left them starving, and they were hangry. This was the moment that they all had been nervous for.

      When the time came near, the group congregated in the main room, and waited. Like a caged tiger, Jordan paced up and down the wall as time ticked by. He took turns rubbing the flexed muscles of his arms during his movement. His jaw was noticeably clenched, and his brow was tense. From time to time, he would stare at Aiden as he walked by him.

      Vivienne's thoughts had been on Stacie, and her lies, while she sat on the couch. It was hard for Vivienne to accept that everything Stacie had told her during sessions, was a lie. The betrayal was weighing heavy on her. She had spent so much time fighting and defending Stacie. There wasn't any room inside her that would allow her to be angry at anyone else, but Stacie.

      Aiden sat in his doorway, with his back resting against the frame. He picked at his nails thinking about entering the confession room again. He sweat in uncomfortable places, knowing that he no longer controlled his secrets. Keeping his hands out of view, Aiden hid the way that they shook in anticipation of learning what people were going to do with the knowledge of who he really was.

      Trent sat on the floor, outside the seating area, with his back against the couch, and stared out the window to the back yard. He hid from the confession door. There wasn't any part of the truth that he wanted. He missed the early days of the experiment when he lived in bliss with Stacie. There was a constant sick feeling in his stomach, but he hadn't eaten anything all day to throw up. With a pale complexion and a disgusted look on his face, he waited for the final nail in his coffin.

      Stacie was curled up on the couch, wrapped up in the blanket from her room. She had the blanket over her head, and hid her face. Her thoughts were on her sister. She was able to forget the experiment, and its participants. There was no longer a care for those that she lived with. The pain of her loss had taken over, and it welcomed her back into the depression that she once fought to get out of. Without her best friend, her troubles were too much to bear. It was easier to forget about them.

      Maddy sat at the dining room table, feeling like an outsider. Watching the actions of the people in front of her made her happy about her decision. Deciding to part with her memories, and start over fresh, was exhilarating. Although she was happy on the inside, she felt that she had to hide her feelings from the somber ones around her. She was alone in her ignorance, and she felt fine.

      All movement stopped as the second hand made its final pass before nine o'clock. When the hour hand clicked into place, the screens illuminated, returning the emoji face. Trent stayed behind the couch, and was the only one that couldn't see the screen. Jordan remained standing, while everyone sat, awaiting instructions.

      "Good evening subjects," said the voice over the intercom. "Tonight is the first night that you have the option the release yourself from your confinement space. If you all choose to enter the confession room, further instructions will be given on how to proceed. If you all do not choose to enter, I will need a volunteer at this time."

      The door unlocked, and everyone looked around at each other.

      "Let's go," instructed Jordan.

      Vivienne was the first to get to her feet, and Maddy followed shortly after. Jordan stared at Aiden, making him feel awkward. Aiden reluctantly got to his feet. Stacie stayed wrapped in her blanket, but she stood up. Trent was the only one that was still seated.