~Chapter Eleven~

"Oh thank God." Conner returns with bandages, stuff to clean the wound and a pair of tweezers to pull the shards out.

"What happened?"

"He.... he stole all of my college money. I yelled at him. H-he told me that Evan was gonna forget me. I told him that..... that I loved Evan. A-and he hit me. Twice. And kicked me out....." he lays his phone on the counter, putting it on speaker phone.

"That's bullshit. He kicked you out for being queer. Piece of shit..."

"Conner, thank you so much for helping, I-"

"You're welcome, Hansen. Not gonna let your man lose his arm. No one's allowed to be a dick to him but me." Jared would smile if he wasn't in so much pain and if he wasn't so angry and sad.

"So you don't have anywhere to stay?"

"No..."

"... Could he-?"

"Larry would kill us for letting someone else into his good Christian household without permission on such short notice."

"I'm sure mom could convince him. This is a friend. Mine at least."

"... As long as he isn't staying in my room."

"Thank you so much, Conner, Zoe, I couldn't stand the thought that he was out there alone." Evan has forgotten Skype is still in a call on his laptop. If he had looked at the screen, he'd see his dad, drunkenly destroying his room. He glances over and goes silent, watching in terror.

"No problem. I'd do anything for this guy." She pats his other shoulder.

"Thanks Zo."

"I wouldn't, but I feel bad. And I'm not gonna like... Watch him bleed out, know what I mean?"

"Thank god for that." Evan squeaks when he makes eye contact with Mr Kleinman.

"Ev?"

"You..."

"Evan?"

"You turned my son into a queer!" Evan can feel his throat start to close up, the words choking him as he drops his phone.

"I-I didn't - I didn't do anything!"

"Evan, Bro."

"Oh god- the skype call. Evan, hang up on him! Do it now!" He yells into the phone. Evan feels paralyzed as Mr Kleinman yells obscenities and threats and all manner of things. Having dropped the phone, he can't hear Jared. He's just quickly spouting apologies and things of the nature.

"Fucking-" Jared picks up the phone and texts him. To make his phone buzz.

Ja: [Turn it off. End the call. Don't listen to him. Evan please]

Evan flicks his eyes to the phone when it buzzes on the floor and smashes his finger down on the button to end the call, shaking and upset.

"Evan? Evan please answer me."

"Evan? C'mon, Tree boy, we're worried."

"I..... I'm okay. I'm okay. " he picks his phone up.

"Thank god. Listen, whatever he says, none of it is true. He's drunk." Connor still doesn't know who this "he" is.

"B-But Jared, he-"

"None of it is true. I swear to god, he isn't gonna touch you."

"Jared, I'm so s-sorry, this is - I - it's my -"

"Shut up, Evan. If that sentence ends in 'fault' shut your mouth. I'm not sure what's going on, but I am sure you aren't to blame."

"It's NOT your fault. It's not possible for it to be your fault. You didn't do anything wrong. You didn't fuck up. Just breath Ev," Evan is trying so hard, but he just feels like it's all on him. It's his fault Jared is hurt and he's gotta live with the Murphys, it's his fault.

"Focus on me, on my voice and just breath. Evan. Everyone is okay. You are okay. I'm okay." They have a routine every time this happens.

"You're okay. I'm okay. It's okay." he just keeps murmuring it to himself along with Jared.

"There you go. Just breath. In... and out.... in... and out.." Zoe thinks this is so sweet. How he helps him like this. Conner is just concerned. He's still working on Jared's arm, glancing at the phone every few seconds. Evan starts to calm down.

"You good Ev?"

"I'm... I-I'm good."

"Good. That's-" he bites his bottom lip to to stop from making a pained noise.

"Sorry. Probably should've warned you. These are kind of deep."

"It's fine. It's fine. I'm fine. I'll live."

"What happened? Like, I'm legit kinda concerned, Kleinman."

"Like I said, my dad-"

"???? Jesus, and I thought Larry was bad, I didn't know it was your DAD."

"Yeah.... my dads an alcoholic. He was drunk and didn't like that I yelled at him or yelled him that I loved Evan. He smacked me arm with a beer bottle and shoved me into a wall."

"Fuckin Christ, what a dick."

"Yeah. You're telling me. It's definitely not a first. Probably not the last"

"God, don't talk like that, Jared..."

"Don't worry about it, Evan, he's in... Mostly capable hands."

"Yeah. Mom should be home anytime now..."

"Then it'll be okay. Promise."

"Okay... " when their mom does come home, she isn't aware of small mess in the kitchen.

"Kids, I'm home!"

"Mom, before you come in, promise not to freak."

"Connor- Oh my. What- what's going on? Why is there blood on the floor??"

"It's okay, it's under control, I'm bandaging him, it's gonna be okay. Zoe, wanna make with the explaining please?"

"Okay, yeah, uh, mom this my friend Jared. His dad took all of his money,!injured him and kicked him out of the house."

"......yeah. Basically."

"Oh...."

"So now he's homeless and has an expertly patched arm. Should be fine if you keep it clean. Evan, all on the line?"

"Mhm."

"Well..... I mean, we could let you stay here." She pauses.

"How old are you Jared?"

"17. Almost 18."

"Oh. So since you're not quite 18, your dad can be arrested for child abuse."

"Really??"

"Please get that man arrested. He's terrifying."

"Ev, you're in Jersey, he can't touch you."

"I won't let him touch you. Please do. I can't take any more of this."

"Jared, are you okay?" this is about the millionth time he's asked. He's scared.

"I'm fine Ev. It's all good."

"How long has he been doing this to you?"

"Uh....... since I can remember? 4 or 5 maybe?"

"Jesus..."

"Yeah. He can get time for that. A long time."

"Fuckin good."

"Conner, this is the most protective I've ever heard you concerning Jared, are you all right?"

"Fine."

"We'll on that when-" Mr. Murphy walks through the door. Stops at the sight of the blood, confused.

"what is this, what's going on?"

"Dad, this is my friend, Jared, his, uh, his dad had injured him and kicked him out."

".... Why's that? What'd you do, Jared?"

"I-I just yelled at him for taking my money..."

"Mm. Not sure I'd go this far for yelling..."

"Tell him whole story."