Part Three || 46 ~ (I)

Daniel Walker from The Shirley Show called me and left multiple voicemails

Daniel Walker from The Shirley Show called me and left multiple voicemails. He wanted to invite me on his show so I could tell my "story." I didn't have a story to tell. This was my life. I didn't appreciate all this spotlight on it.

        I just felt bad that Kenji had to be brought into all of this.

        "Darian." Gyan clasped a hand on my shoulder, and I faced him while we stood behind the counter. It was another day at the gas station. "Have a lot on your mind?"

        "How do you know?" I asked even though I did know. "The video?"

        He nodded. "I didn't want to bring it up, but I can't keep it in anymore."

        I shrugged. "Some guy outed me publicly. No big deal."

        I stared head at the customer approaching me. Once they stopped in front of me, I checked them out and watched them leave before turning to Gyan.

        He was watching me with a smirk. "Hey, at least you get to come out earlier. You were the one on my ass about coming out."

        "Yeah," I said, "but on my terms. Not some random dipshit's. Now, my father won't talk to me."

        "He cut you off, and he won't talk to you?" Gyan shook his head. "Your old man's hardcore."

        "Things were getting better between us," I said. "We were reaching a good place we've never been before, but this ruined it. My father is a jerk, but he's done a lot for me. I never appreciated it until it was gone."

        Gyan rested a hand on the counter and leaned his body on it. "Wanna elaborate on that?"

        "My father got me my first job at this big fancy firm," I said. "He pulled a lot of strings to get some teenager working there. Then I got fired, and he got me a paid internship at the major's office. I got fired there, too, and that's when I decided I wanted to find a job without his help."

        Gyan sent me a look. "And you got Shirley Shakes?"

        I returned his look. "Don't judge. Yeah, it wasn't fancy, and it didn't pay that well, but I got it on my own. I didn't have to use my father's name or his connections for someone to think I was good enough. Plain old Darian was enough, even if it was just Shirley Shakes."

        Gyan held a serious face. "The plight of the privileged white boy."

        "Dude." I lightly punched his arm, but I couldn't help chuckling.

        He had a point. I had the advantage, and I didn't want to utilize it out of ego. Now, my father was gone, and I didn't know how to get him back.

        "That's the thing," I said. "Back then, I thought my father helping me out was a weakness on my part, but in life, you'll always need people. You'll need people to help you out in large roles or small roles. Even the job here, I wouldn't have gotten it if it wasn't for Arya. My father helped me with money, and he helped me with jobs back then. Now, I just need him to be my father. Admitting that isn't a sign of incompetency or weakness—"